Login scripts not running on 802.1x w/ authenticate computer when network available
Does anyone know what the trick is to get login scripts to work with wireless? I changed the GPO to run scripts after login, but they still don't work. I am currently using KIX32, but can change if that is the problem. This is basically a inconveinance for users since they don't get their mapped drives. I also have the box checked to authenticate the computer when the network becomes availalbe. I have tried everything I could find in other posts to now avail! I am sure it is possible, so I need a GURU answer! Thanks!
August 24th, 2007 7:02pm

Normally the wireless software starts after the user logs on to the system. This is because the settings are user specific. Two users are able to use one laptop but could have different networks to connect to. I use for instance Intel PROSet/Wireless. With this application I have the possibility to connect to a wireless network before logon. I think this is the key to solve your problem. Let me know when you have doubts. All the best, Yuri PS I use kix32 myself. Drive mappings didnt appear at first. When I made sure I connect to a wireless network before logon the problem was solved. In the Intel PROSet/Wirelss you will find the setting in the Administrator Tool and then the Profile Tab, section: Pre-Logon/Common. Here you are able to specify a wirelessnetwork that is valid before logon.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 3rd, 2008 11:47am

i'm running in 802.1x environment (AD is mixed mode with IAS running), logon script is kix, i have the similar issues, during 1st time of logon, user gets authenticated, but map drive logon script did not run, the only way to get map drive, user would need to logout and logon back.pls help
March 5th, 2009 6:29am

Hi Yuri,Have you had the chance to test your environment on a Windows 7 client?I had a question this question on another thread.http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpronetworking/thread/c222cd41-76c9-415e-8026-416e37f46e74Please share if you had tested this on Windows 7 client.Cheers,deskadmin
December 24th, 2009 4:26am

The trick is that you need to do the following:1) Issue the computer a Workstation Authentication or Computer certificate (one that enables Client Authentication as an EKU)2) Define a RADIUS policy that allows the computer account to authenticate with the network3) Configure the clients to first authenticate as computer, then switch to the user context after authentication.The computer will authenticate and allow user processing of GPO and User logon scripts. We have done this as numerous clients with great successBrian
December 24th, 2009 7:56am

Hi Brian,The wireless infrastructure is Cisco based. The computer certificate is provided by the wireless network known as PAC. I am not sure if this is equivalent to item 1.As for items 2 & 3, I will confirm and get back to you.Cheers.
January 5th, 2010 12:27pm

Brian, Could you please elaborate on these settings so that i can test this. I have had great success with using Computer and reauthenticate with user on a windows 2003 AD (using GPOs) for XP machines. However i see that in 2008 AD and windows vista/7 clients i do not see the re-authenticate option; only computer or user option. Your help is great appreciated.
October 7th, 2011 11:15am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics