Login and Print issues
Hi everyoneI'm an IT educator at a school, Springs Girls' High. We have 80 windows XP machines connected to windows server 2003. I'm really new to the server environment, so please bear with me. I have active directory installed and learners can login without a problem. I have a few questions and was hoping that you would be so kind as to help this "old oaf"...Question 1: I have enabledroaming profiles and placed the detail as required... when thelearner logs into the pc it gives an error, saying that the pc will login with a tempory profile and they have to click ok... I have got each learner, there are almost 800 users to redirect their "my documents" folder manually, this will ensure that the work is copied to the server as a backup.... Question2: Printing issues: This is my biggest concern... I have setup a print server added a network printer assigned IP address 192.168.1.80. Printer is a HP Laserjet 4200...the learners cannot see the network printer... I'mreally stressing because they have to printout theassessment tasks for their exam in 2 weeks time.What I have done and it works, butwow! what a mission please can you help!I created a *.bat file with the following script rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /n \\server2\hp laserjet 4200" I then copied this into every pc.... Start up folder for all users.... this has worked and all users can see the printer... but wow! im really drained.... after doin this for all 80 computers there must be an easier way... Thank you for all your hard work and hope to get a reply soon.. Gary Berends Springs Girls' High School
June 3rd, 2009 7:10pm

Hello Gary,See inline for response:Question 1: I have enabledroaming profiles and placed the detail as required... when thelearner logs into the pc it gives an error, saying that the pc will login with a tempory profile and they have to click ok... I have got each learner, there are almost 800 users to redirect their "my documents" folder manually, this will ensure that the work is copied to the server as a backup.... Rather than redirect "My document folder" manually, you can easily configure a group policy object to automatically redirect user's folders. To do this, install Microsoft Group Policy Management Console (GPMC) (http://www.microsoft.com/DOWNLOADS/details.aspx?FamilyID=0a6d4c24-8cbd-4b35-9272-dd3cbfc81887&displaylang=en) . Click start, Administrative tools, Group policy management, select exisiting or create new gpo, go to User configurations, Windows Settings, Folder Redirection, select and right click on my documents, properties and configure as needed.Question2: Printing issues: This is my biggest concern... I have setup a print server added a network printer assigned IP address 192.168.1.80. Printer is a HP Laserjet 4200...the learners cannot see the network printer... I'mreally stressing because they have to printout theassessment tasks for their exam in 2 weeks time.Same on this, you can use Group policy to publish the printer.Click start, Administrative tools, Group policy management, select exisiting or create new gpo, go toComputer configurations, Administrative Templates, Primters, and configured as needed. such as Allow printers to be published or auto publish printers to Actve DirectoryYou can use the same GPO for both questions. after that you will have to link the GPO to the OU where the users/computers are. It will be ideal to create a new GPO rather than work from the default domain policy, that way you can disable it if things go wrong..Hope this helps,Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 3rd, 2009 7:56pm

Thank you for your time Isaac. I will try this in the morning when I get back to school... PS: Thank you for the help Gary Berends
June 3rd, 2009 8:07pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics