Logical Disk monitoring - Overrides galore?

Hi all!

We have a number of systems with differing needs for storage thresholds.  The defaults work the majority of time, but there are a number of 'buckets' our disks need.  For example, some disks might warrant an error at 5GB free, 10GB free, or even 25GB free.  Let's pretend the percentages aren't important for now.

Just to be clear, is it correct that I would need to create 2 (system / non-system) * 3 (2003, 2008, 2012) = 6 overrides for every single bucket I want (and make no mistake, we need way more than 3)?

This seems absurd.  I can handle dumping the appropriate logical disks into buckets based on PowerShell or some other programmatic method.  Creating overrides seems a bit more complicated.  Is there not a simpler way to do this?

I'm comfortable using PowerShell, but the 600 line example above seems like a pretty steep requirement for a very basic and common task (that is cumbersome and delay ridden when using the SCOM console).

Please tell me there is an easier way to create overrides for logical disk space monitoring!

September 8th, 2014 12:58pm

Let take 5GB as an example, the 10Gb and 25 Gb is the same.

1) Create tree groups, may be dynamic or static, contains windows 2003, windows 2008 and windows 2012 HD which you want to change the HD free space threshold.

2) Create an override for each group on represent disk space monitor, totally 3 overrides.

3) on the overrides, you can change both threshold on system and on-system disk

Roger

This is basically what we have been doing.  I suppose it's only running through the GUI once per monitor (by OS MP), but this still results in 6 overrides, and is still painful.  Keep in mind I'm talking many buckets, not the hypothetical 3, and we will presumably need to add more if there is a new MP for Windows vNext.

So the takeaway I'm getting is that I need to muck around manually, or come up with what looks to be a complicated and environment specific PowerShell script.  

Would be really nice if some of these common tasks could be simplified in SCOM.  I wish we could dedicate more resources to monitoring, but when simple, common operations like this take so much time, my attention wanders to the competition.

There are a few potential solutions, would love to see *something* implemented to make the lives of a SCOM admin easier!  Make it easy to programmatically create overrides.  If you have a common monitor across something similar like Operating Systems, abstract it for your end users.  Something : )

Cheers!

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 9th, 2014 12:24pm

Thanks Roger!  That was the best I could find as well - note the hyperlink in the original post : )

Going to give it a stab.  My issue is that it looks convoluted at best, I don't know if it will work against SCOM 2012 R2 (looks like there is a fixable bug based on comments), and presumably it's something that may or may not hit SCOM vNext.

It seems like a SCOM admin that does anything outside typical OOTB settings almost needs to be a developer, with very domain-specific expertise.  Funky XML modifications, working with the API (even if through PowerShell), etc.

Cheers!

September 10th, 2014 12:13pm

Jonathan,

I was very tempted by this idea.  Still might go that route.  The big drawback I see is that we need to do this for each monitor (2003, 2008, 2012, presumably vNext when it arrives), and we will need to repeat the process if these scripts are updated by Microsoft.

Thanks for the alternate idea

Edit: wasn't aware of the history of this monitor.  This option looks like it would be the simplest to implement, thanks again!

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 11th, 2014 1:34pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics