Logging into domain but use a local profile on the pc
Hi, I work in a school and each classroom has different programs installed, right now we are using novell server, and a local profile on the machine, so no matter how log into the computer the local account is always the same. exmple( student one logs in, logged into the netowrk as student on but as rm105 on the pc, student two logs into the same computer, he is logged into the network as student two but still logged into the local pc as rm105.) this allows me to set a standard desktop( icons and icon placement always the same for who ever loggs in) for all student who log into this computer. This year we are moving to windows 2008 server. what i want is to be able to do the same set up. Student is logged into the network, but logged in to the local computer as rm105. Is this possible? I have tried putting the icons in the all users folder, but the placement does not stay, when every i log in with a different account thee are all run horizontailly down the side. MJ
July 12th, 2011 2:53pm

what i want is to be able to do the same set up. Student is logged into the network, but logged in to the local computer as rm105. I think you are looking at it from a "wrong" perspective; I think that a good use of GPOs may allow you to achieve what you're asking for, but NOT as you described it, see, you may create a "students" AD group, assign them some network-wide permissions/settings and then assign them some "lab machines" permissions/settings w/o the need to use two different accounts ... then, maybe I am missing something; if that's the case, please expand your request a little bit
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 12th, 2011 3:35pm

Hi Obiwan, i thought of that but i could not find and place where i can set up a certing set of desktop icons for each pc. the way it was set up (before i started) is like this classroom a has program a program b program e the computers in the room have the icon on the desktop for these progams, no matter who logings they see computer a desktop log in locally), but network drives are mapped for the student classroom b has program a program c program d program e as with classroom a the desktop is the smae for all users (logging in locally) i would like the same set up, you log into the domain, to get you network share, but the computer use's a local profile that has the desktop setup.as i said i tried putting the icon in all users so who ever log in gets the same set but i can not get windows xp to keep the placement. If i could get the icon placed properly for new log in that would work as well. MJ
July 12th, 2011 4:11pm

classroom a has ... classroom b has ... I think you may solve the issue by carefully creating some GPOs setting up carefully crafted permissions and using a logon script to map the shares as needed; I don't see this as a big issue and I think it may solve your problem and... it will also ease the task of administering the whole setup once all the bits and pieces will be in place
July 12th, 2011 4:28pm

i will use a script to map share's, most likely printers as well since each room has different ones. the issue is the program on the pc are local programs (installed on the computer). i know they will show up in the start menu, but honestly we are talking about users here and if the icon not on the desktop, the program not installed, i am trying to limit this type of work orders. when dealing with users the less change you can do to the system they are use to using the better.as i said form what i can tell there is no place in the gpo to state that this computer has this desktop set up (these icon in this place). if there is please let me know where to find it. MJ
July 12th, 2011 4:36pm

Storm, What server OS are you using? With the desktop icons you can apply these from the GPOs and create shortcuts. You could elect in the GPOs to perform folder redirection to a single shared location on the "desktop" folder and then all desktop icons would be communal -you'd have to get clever on your permissions though as if someone deleted the icon from one it would remove from all. I think your simplest option is just to create a well thought out GPO as ObiWan says and that way you can ensure that no matter what, when any user logs on to a certain group of physical machines (define using Item-Level Targeting on GPOs providing you are using 2k8) the icons are created every time. TW
July 12th, 2011 4:50pm

Sorry - and with the map drives and printers - this is soo easy to automate with GPOs!! Its got to be your way forward.
July 12th, 2011 4:51pm

hi tom, i am using 2008, i will do some research on item-level targeting and give it a try
July 12th, 2011 4:53pm

hi tom, i am using 2008, i will do some research on item-level targeting and give it a try Well... sounds like you're on the right path :) and, in case you'll need further infos/help... you know where to find us :) Uh and btw... thanks Tom :) !
July 12th, 2011 5:15pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics