Locked myself out Certificate Services
When experimenting with the Certificate Services Security settings I managed to delete all user/admin groups and set the rights of the local administrator (server admin) to only the enroll option. So as of now there is no group/user/admin who has either the "manage" nor "read" option. Meaning I can't even access the CA anymore, the service is completely unaccessible.When I try to open the Certifice Services the system responds with: Access is denied. 0x80070005 (WIN32:5).When I tried to uninstall the service it said: "An error was detected while configuring Certificate Services. The Certificate Services Setup wizard will need to be rerun to complete the configuration. Certifcate Services setup failed with the following error: Access is denied. 0x80070005 (WIN32:5) "I have already rebooted the server multiple times with no change.As of now, Certificate Services is neitherto be found inthe Administrative tools nor in the Services windows, which makes me believe the service is completely uninstalled. But still when trying to reinstall the service the same error occurs.Is there anyway to completely remove Certificate Services that I haven't tried yet?Thanks in advance,
September 30th, 2009 4:53pm

Hi, Please try the "Step 6: Remove CA objects from Active Directory" of the article below to remove CA from AD. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889250 After that, try to reinstall CA. Thanks. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 7th, 2009 6:11am

I already tried step 6, but I can't complete it because when I enter the command 'certutil' in the cmd the following error appears:" 'certutil' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"I then skipped that step and did the following steps: 2 -> 13 succesfully.Though it hasn't changed a thing, I still get the access denied error when trying to reinstall the certificate services.
October 8th, 2009 11:56am

try looking into registry at HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CERTSVC.if the key is there, maybe, you could try to delete it completelly - but BE CAREFULL, this is NOT SUPPORTED and you are trying it on your own risk. better to backup before the test.ondrej.
October 8th, 2009 2:37pm

you may also try to find the certsvc database in %windir%\system32\certlog and maybe again try to delete it. but YOUR OWN RISK it is!!
October 8th, 2009 2:38pm

now I have checked where it could all be, and found this key HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Certsvc\Configuration\XXX, value Security.you may try (on your own risk) to delete just this key.ondrej.
October 8th, 2009 2:42pm

The map/container 'Configuration' is greyed out, and empty here.What does this mean, is there anyway to make the items in there visible?
October 9th, 2009 12:33pm

it looks like you are not an administrator of the local computer? you need to reghtclick and change Permissions...
October 9th, 2009 1:12pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics