LocatorCheck Test Failed -- PDC_REQUIRED

Just demoted old PDC and added and promoted new PDC.  Dcdiag passed all tests before promoting.  Have not raised functional level to 2008 yet.

I believe I scrubbed the old PDC from DNS though I have seen it show up in some queries (can't remember which).

Dcdiag on the PDC still has no errors.

Other DCs all have this error:

Warning: DcGetDcName(PDC_REQUIRED) call failed, error 1355
A Primary Domain Controller could not be located.
The server holding the PDC role is down.

On all DCs netdom query fsmo list the PDC for all roles.

On all DCs nltest /dclist:domain.com lists the correct DC as the PDC.

The PDC seems to be the authoritative time server.

In DFS Management, when I try to list the namespaces I receive the following error:

\\domain.com\namespace:  The namespace cannot be queried. The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.

Replication groups do populate.

I need help troubleshooting.  Thanks

• Edited by abidabbi 12 hours 47 minutes ago grammar
July 29th, 2015 2:24pm

Did you transfer the PDC role to the new DC before you demoted it? What server in your environment contains your PDC role? Did you also transfer the NTP server settings before you demoted it? (assuming it was providing that service)The link below walks you through how to transfer the roles.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/324801

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 29th, 2015 3:13pm

I transferred the PDC role to a new server then demoted the existing PDC. 

The new server contains the PDC.

I did transfer the time server (NTP) to the new server and it seems to be working. w32tm /query /status on other DCs shows the time source as the PDC.

I already transferred FSMO roles to the new PDC.  On all DCs netdom query fsmo lists the PDC for all roles.

How can I troubleshoot this?  If there is a DNS problem I don't know how to find it.

July 29th, 2015 3:53pm

In the DNS server settings are your forwarders setup correctly? NIC DNS setting setup correctly (In the NIC did you put the PDC as the primary)?

July 29th, 2015 3:59pm

As far as I can tell the forwarders are fine. We are not having any trouble resolving names; just resolving the PDC.  Is there something specific I should look at?

The NIC's primary DNS is the server itself (PDC) and the secondary is another DC.

Thanks for your help.  What next?

July 29th, 2015 4:06pm

Can you move the PDC role to another GC and see if the issue goes away?

On the DC that is the PDC right now, is the name and IP on the server correct in the DNS server properties and AD?

On the DNS server manager, right click the servername and go to properties... On the interface tab, is the right IP stated? On your forward lookup zone in the properties go to the name server tab, is the DC name in there?

NIC settings for the PDC make sure the other DC is the primary not itself... Make sure on all DC settings that the very last DNS IP listed is 127.0.0.1 this means it points to itself.

July 29th, 2015 5:16pm

Hi,

Please run the below commands and upload the output of the text file to one drive. share the URL or link here.

dnslint.exe /ad /s Ipaddress of DC

dcdiag /v /c /d /e /s:contoso.com >> DCDIAG.txt

repadmin /replsum /errorsonly >> REPADMINERROR.txt

repadmin /showrepl >> SHOWREPL.txt

July 30th, 2015 12:16am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics