Location : only local compuer display while providing permissions to folders on doamin environment

HI All,

We have single forest with multiple child domain in it. All DC are running 2012 R2 (FF=2008 DF=2008)

Root domain = xxx.com

Child domain = aaa.xxx.com (branch office) & bbb.xxx.com (DC present in our office and it's has GC )

their is a 2 way trust b/w aaa.xxx.com & bbb.xxx.com

Replication is working fine, not issue found.

Local MY system is joined to bbb.xxx.com

Server (where the resources are shared) Joined to aaa.xxx.com

Some time am able to provided permissions to resources present in the server,

Domain users present in bbb.xxx.com

Shared folder ie: resources are present in aaa.xxx.com

Problem is some times while providing permissions in the location tab only my local pc is displayed, not able to browse any of the domains.

after some days it starts working fine, any idea why this is happening.

Thanks

Sharath

August 28th, 2015 1:10pm

Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that the Locations windows will only display local users instead of whole Active Directory when configuring user permissions on a shared folder.

I want to confirm with you that if this problem only happened on the Server. 

You may confirm that if it is caused by temporary network problem. On the problematic device, open CMD and ping the FQDN and IP address of DC. also, run ipconfig /all and confirm that if the parameters(preferred DNS server which has DC related record) are correct.

Best Regards,
Eve Wang
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 31st, 2015 8:59am

Thanks for the replay,

You are right only the local objects are displayed.

This happens not only on server but on clients as well, and this problem appears & disappears auto.

Have check the DNS settings (server/clients) able to resolve the both DC (aaa.xxx.com & bbb.xxx.com)

As for DNS records in server both the DC have each other records & forwarders to each other.

In local resource shared server & client DNS settings are primary pointed to local DC (bbb.xxx.com) & secondary pointed to aaa.xxx.com

September 2nd, 2015 12:59am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics