Local shares not accessible via UNC (Start-Run)
We have a W2K3 SP2 server which has multiple drives, each with it's admin (hidden) shares present, as well as two custom shares. All of the shares (admin and custom) are accessible over the network (suing an account with admin access on the problem server) from another server or workstation via UNC (at Start | Run). However, when logged in locally to the problem server (using the same admin account), trying to invoke any share (hidden or custom) via UNC (at Start | Run) results in an error message popup that reads something like this: "\\servername\sharename is not accessible. You might not have permissionto use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. No network provider accepted the given network path." Of course, we are administrators on this and thousands of other servers, and I don't believe we have ever encounterd this exact problem before (that I can recall). Mind you, this is not a missing admin share issue, or a problem with admin shares getting created automatically upon reboot or restart of either the Workstation or Server services. We can create shares all day long and access them remotely -- just not locally on the server itself. The server primarily runs EMC DiskXtender File System Manager (which is also installed on numerous other servers we manage), so not sure the presence of this application can be attributable in any way to the problem. I have looked at a few things in secpol.msc, as well as the registry (HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services\lanmanserver\*, but nothing appears out of the ordinary. Thanks for any pointers provided.
July 1st, 2010 12:03am

Hi, This is definitely an odd issue, perhaps something with name resolution, are you able to access with \\ip-address\share or \\fqdn\share? -- Mike Burr
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 1st, 2010 12:24am

Mike, Thanks for the reply. The answer is no, it doesn't work when using IP or FQDN, either. When trying FQDN, I get same error msg. When trying IP, I get just the latter part of the error msg ("No network provider accepted the given network path."). But you are correct, it "seems" like a name resolution thing. Another oddity is that while logged on to this server, I can access \\servername\shares of other servers in our network; but again, just not \\servername\share of any kind pertaining to itself.
July 1st, 2010 4:48pm

On the Server do the following Make sure the shares are listed in the computer management MMC. Make sure the Workstation Service is started, restart if started. Check the event view for error messages. I manually tested stopping the workstation service, and that produces the same error.
July 1st, 2010 5:32pm

Thanks Gunner999. That sounded promising, but resulted in same situation. All shares are present, as they should be. The Workstation service was started, so I stopped it, and in so doing (as expected) Netlogon and RPC (locator) stopped. When I tried to restart the Workstation service, it errored saying it couldn't start. I checked event log, and with each attempt in restarting the Workstation service, received two system log entries (both event ID 5727): Could not load Rdbss device driver. -- and -- Could not load RDR device driver. I then rebooted the server. Workstation service (and Netlogon and RPC services) are now running again. However, still have issue with trying to access local share (of that server) using Start | Run, \\servername\localshare.
July 1st, 2010 7:06pm

Well, we found the problem...a corrupted Workstation service. Try this http://www.jasonhartman.net/2005/01/problem-starting-server-and.html and this http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverDS/thread/333970e0-1afc-4c40-8734-fc302049732b
July 1st, 2010 9:06pm

Hi, This problem may be caused by third party software such as "HP Insight Management Agents". If it was installed, try to disable it to test. If it’s not installed, try to test in Safe Mode and Clean Boot, is there any progress? If not, check whether below key exists: HKLM\system\ccs\services\RDBSS image path - windows\system32\drivers\rdbss.sys, start mode – 1 Thanks. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
July 7th, 2010 11:24am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics