Local printer issue with Windows 7 Professional through rdp with Windows Server 2003 R2
Hello, I currently installed 3 new Windows 7 Professional systems in a clients' office. This client connects through vpn and rdp to a Server 2003 R2 in a head office nearby and must be able to print documents locally on a HP multifunctional connected on the local network. However it does not appear on the server when connected to it. When I connect a Xp Pro SP3 system to it, it takes the local printers flawlessly. Does this have anything to do with Windows 7' printer model being different? Or do I have to look further? I already tried all the obvious things like firewall and rdp settings. Please help. Kind regards Davy Crijns
May 24th, 2010 9:32am

When you connect the windows 7 Client via RDP, check the eventlog on the TS which printers get mapped and if this process is successful or not. If you dont see any printer related eventlog entries, the RDP Client (the windows 7 Box) is not configured to map local printers at all (Mstsc -> options -> local resources -> printer). If it tries to map the printers and it fails it is most likley that the driver names on win7 and 2003 do not match, so the 2003 Server thinks it has no driver for the device to support it. hth Gregor Stefka
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 24th, 2010 3:23pm

Thanks a lot, this worked. It was due to a printer driver which was not on the Server 2003. I had to use the HP Universal driver to get this resolved.
June 26th, 2010 9:47am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics