Local Area Connection not showing in GUI
I have installed Windows Server 2008 on my desktop machine in a dual boot configuration with my normal Windows 7. This is for training purposes only. However, I have a strange problem: The NIC works correctly, and I can connect to the internet (I am now), but it does not show up under "Manage network connections". In fact, this window is completely empty. The NIC is correctly installed in Device Manager. But I can work with the Local Area Connection with netsh, and ipconfig sees it correctly. Just no GUI to work with it! Any ideas?
June 10th, 2011 7:02pm

I would suggest to go back into device manager, uninstall the network adapter and restart letting windows rescan and reinstall. While you are at it, make sure you have the latest driver. If you have any 3rd party Network Software that manages the NIC, I would uninstall it as well. I also did a quick search and came accross this MS article. there are a few other suggestions other than what I recommended. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825826 Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 11th, 2011 1:09pm

Thanks, JM, that worked perfectly. I un-installed it from Device Manager, restarted the machine, and hey-presto, the NIC was back in the GUI. (Maybe it was Virtual Server 2005 that messed it up)
June 11th, 2011 7:50pm

That's good news. While not a great solution, this usually fixes these types of strange issues.Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 11th, 2011 10:27pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics