LocalSystem? I have only System
Windows XP Pro SP3 While "adding" [please read "adding" as "observing through pressing button "Add..."(*)"] NTFS permissions I see only System account but not Local System... Though most docs are decribing Local System only but almost never System account... Why? Where is Local System? What are the differences between System and Local System? Edited: (*) - Windows Explorer dir right-Click --> Properties --> Security tab --> btn "Add..." --> btn "Advanced..." --> btn "Find Now..."
August 8th, 2010 10:21pm

Why do you want to add/change the NTFS permissions that elude to System/Local System accounts?? What are you trying to do with the permissions, what are you trying to change? Is the workstation on a domain?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 9th, 2010 5:57am

Where have I written that I am trying to change? I am trying to read docs and articles on accounts engagement in Windows.
August 9th, 2010 6:49am

for the fact that you said you were adding NTFS permissions
August 9th, 2010 6:50am

I did not write that I engaged any system or built-in accounts, I wrote what/that I saw there! Windows Explorer dir right-Click --> Properties --> Security tab --> btn "Add..." --> btn "Advanced..." --> btn "Find Now..." It is the only fast way, to my knowledge, to see built-in system accounts, since they are nor shown in Control Panel' Users and Groups, etc.
August 9th, 2010 7:10am

Windows XP Pro SP3 While adding NTFS permissions I see only System account but not Local System... Though most docs are decribing Local System only but almost never System account... Why? Where is Local System? What are the differences between System and Local System? Here you say you saw the System account whilst adding NTFS Permissions. What exactly is the question you are wanting an answer to?
August 9th, 2010 7:19am

While reading articles, docs and forum posts on Windows account, for ex., [1], [2], [3], etc., I encounter discussion of LocalSystem only (which I do not find on my Windows XP Pro SP3) but not of System account present on my Windows. What is LocalSystem? Where is this LocalSystem? And what are the relations of (my) System vs. (phantom) LocalSystem accounts? Cited: [1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms686005(v=VS.85).aspx (Service User Accounts) [2] http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143504.aspx (Setting Up Windows Service Accounts) [3] http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqldatabasemirroring/thread/f98796fd-e308-47e6-9035-7a59eaf2f15b/ (Local system account and Mirroring)
August 9th, 2010 7:38am

Following definition is found in the article 2 you provided: Local System Account Local System is a very high-privileged built-in account. It has extensive privileges on the local system and acts as the computer on the network. The actual name of the account is "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM". "Local System" is not an actually account name, it is the same as "Local Administrator" account, while actually we mean the default Administrator account on local. Shaon Shan| TechNet Subscriber Support in forum| If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
August 9th, 2010 11:31am

Following definition is found in the article 2 you provided: Local System Account Local System is a very high-privileged built-in account. It has extensive privileges on the local system and acts as the computer on the network. The actual name of the account is "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM". "Local System" is not an actually account name, it is the same as "Local Administrator" account, while actually we mean the default Administrator account on local. Shaon Shan| TechNet Subscriber Support in forum| If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com I hope so. I just really want to untangle MS docs. [1] has link to LocalSystem Account telling: The LocalSystem account is a predefined local account used by the service control manager. This account is not recognized by the security subsystem, so you cannot specify its name in a call to the LookupAccountName function. It has extensive privileges on the local computer, and acts as the computer on the network. Its token includes the NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM and BUILTIN\Administrators SIDs; these accounts have access to most system objects. The name of the account in all locales is .\LocalSystem. The name, LocalSystem or ComputerName\LocalSystem can also be used. This account does not have a password. If you specify the LocalSystem account in a call to the CreateService function, any password information you provide is ignored It does not seem to me from this description that "Local System" (or "LocalSystem") = local "System" at all. Note the "Build date: 8/5/2010" on this article!
August 9th, 2010 1:55pm

http://www.ads-training.com/Lists/The%20Active%20Knowledge%20Base/DispForm.aspx?ID=61 (Knowledge Base and Tips: How Security Identifiers Work and Well-Known...) has: S-1-5-18 System (or LocalSystem) An identity that is used locally by the operating system and by services configured to log on as LocalSystem. System is a hidden member of Administrators. That is, any process running as System has the SID for the built-in Administrators group in its access token. When a process that is running locally as System accesses network resources, it does so by using the computer's domain identity. Its access token on the remote computer includes the SID for the local computer's domain account plus SIDs for security groups that the computer is a member of, such as Domain Computers and Authenticated Users though it microsoft's Well-known security identifiers in Windows operating systems (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/243330) does not mention SYSTEM at all (only "LOCAL SYSTEM") O still do not understand: 1) Are SYSTEM amd "LOCAL SYSTEM" always really synonyms? What are differences? 2) If they are synonyms then what is the sense in their introduction?
August 9th, 2010 4:30pm

Hi, The LocalSystem account is not the same thing as the "Local System account" discussed in the earlier article. See here: The LocalSystem account is a predefined local account used by the service control manager. This account is not recognized by the security subsystem, so you cannot specify its name in a call to the LookupAccountName function. Thus the LocalSystem here is a hidden account, which only used by service control manager and you cannot find it in User Groups as it is not recognized by security subsystem. When you open a service in Services.msc, see the Log On tab, the "Log on as: Local System account" here should be the LocalSystem account. You can use "sc gc <servicename>" to get related information on for a specific service. Shaon Shan| TechNet Subscriber Support in forum| If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
August 10th, 2010 11:22am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics