Load balancing - what happens if a server goes down?

Hi, Just an academic question.

Assume I have 2 DA servers behind a BIG-IP load balancer, named DA1 and DA2.

If I enable Load Balancing (BIG-IP in my case), what happens to the clients already Connected to DA1 when IP-HTTPS is used?

For example:
Client1 is connected to BIG-IP, which in turn redirect this client to DA1-Server. Assume that DA1-server goes down, what happens with the client then? I assume the Client will be redirected to DA2-server by BIG-IP after some time, meaning it will have to establish the connection from scratch. Is this correct and roughly how long does it take for the clients to connect to the DA2-Server?

Since IP-HTTPS is using it's own pool and IPv6 prefix per DA server, I assume this will happen? And the DA client1 will receive a new IPv6 address from DA2 ?

Thanks!

February 10th, 2015 12:18pm

Hi,

It depends of the way your Big-IP is checking the servers in your pool.
The client will try to reconnect to the HTTPS interface and still be redirected to server1 until your Big-IP validate that the server1 is not responding and disable it.

And yes, you'll receive a new IPv6 address because each server in a DirectAccess NLB cluster has a specific IPv6 range for the clients.

Gerald

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 13th, 2015 11:03am

Hi,

It depends of the way your Big-IP is checking the servers in your pool.
The client will try to reconnect to the HTTPS interface and still be redirected to server1 until your Big-IP validate that the server1 is not responding and disable it.

And yes, you'll receive a new IPv6 address because each server in a DirectAccess NLB cluster has a specific IPv6 range for the clients.

Gerald

February 13th, 2015 11:03am

Thanks!

Yes indeed it does, I just managed to setup load balancing and failover takes around 20-30 Seconds for the Clients (15 sec timeout on BIG-IP).

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 4th, 2015 8:52am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics