Linux integration to Windows environment
Hi, Our IT environment is purely Windows. We have AD in Windows Server 2008R2 and client in Windows 7 and windows XP. But it's about to change. We need an application that (unfortuntely) only run in Linux. So we're buying Linux machine. We want to join this Linux machine into Windows AD and use Windows account to login to the linux machine. This way, users do not need to have different account for Linux machine. I read that Windows Server 2008R2 has service role called: "Microsoft Identity Management for UNIX". It looks that using this role, Linux machine/users can be joined into Windows. But I'm not sure if this is correct. If so, what is the procedure to do it? Please help. Thank you, Sujud
June 2nd, 2011 8:44am

Yes that role can help, but it is not required to use it, I am not sure how big / complicated is that new server (app) if it is only one machine you can added using winbind (samba ver 3) or preferably Kerberos. You just need to setup Kerberos client on Linux, and configure PAM - tons of tutorials avaible online, depends on Linux version and distro.With kind regards Krystian Zieja http://www.projectnenvision.com Follow me on twitter My Blog
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 2nd, 2011 8:57am

Thank you Krystian. Actually there will be several Linux machines that shared for around 10-15 users. We're going to use RHEL 5 x64. So, as per your suggestion (and if i configure Linux client correctly), I do not need a NIS server. Windows AD Server will act NIS server? Linux UID/GUID/home directory will be controlled from the Windows AD Server?
June 2nd, 2011 9:53pm

I found an interesting article here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2008.12.linux.aspx?pr=blog I'll try to follow the instruction and update you later.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 2nd, 2011 11:02pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics