Linked Server - Getting Error when performing Cross Instance Query with joins

Hi Guys,

I've successfully created a Linked Server that connects a local DB Engine with another DB Engine through an ip over an extranet. I am able to run simple Select statement queries on the Local DB Engine and get results from the linked server. However when attempting to perform more complex queries that join tables from the linked server with tables from the local DB server, I get the following error message after several minutes of execution:

OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI11" for linked server "<ip of Linked Server>" returned message "Protocol error in TDS stream".

OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI11" for linked server "<ip of Linked Server>" returned message "Communication link failure".

Msg -1, Level 16, State 1, Line 0

Session Provider: Physical connection is not usable [xFFFFFFFF].

OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI11" for linked server "<ip of Linked Server>" returned message "Communication link failure".

Msg -1, Level 16, State 1, Line 0

Session Provider: Physical connection is not usable [xFFFFFFFF].

Msg 10054, Level 16, State 1, Line 0

TCP Provider: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

Grateful if you could advise what may be causing this issue and how I can resolve it. I've read on Distributed Transactions but I understand that it only applies to manipulation statements?

Both are SQL servers. Linked Server is SQL2008R2 if not mistaken. Local DB Engine is SQL2014.

Thanks and Regards,

Rhyan.

April 26th, 2015 12:10pm

The error "Protocol error in TDS stream" means that the remote instance is spewing out illegal TDS. That is not supposed to happen, so that is not your fault.

Check the SQL Server errorlog on the remote server, to see if there any stack dumps that coincides with the TDS error. That may give some hint of what is going on.

Could you post the ouptut from "SELECT @@version" from your two instances?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 26th, 2015 3:29pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics