Link table errors

Hello,

I am testing the Link table errors feature and changed the linked table name in the Excel workbook.

I also changed the format of a date field to currency.

When I refreshed the data in PowerPivot and opened the Select Action dialog box, I was expecting to see 2 errors. There was only one for changing the table name. I fixed that error, clicked OK.

Then I got an error message saying that the table name could not be updated because of conflicting data types.

I looked on the PowerPivot tutorial on technet, but the page for the Select Action dialog box, doesn't provide any information to explain why all errors listed on that page were not on the Select Action dialog box.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

August 24th, 2010 8:25pm

Hello,

I test this again.

After changing the table name, I got the select action dialog box. It didn't have anything to do with the original second error of changing the date field to currency. I was expecting the dialog box to make reference to this error but it didn't.

The other error message only indicated the data may not update because of conflicting data types or duplicate values.

The help page for the select action dialog box says that you can scroll through the list of errors. For me, the dialog box only listed one error, even though there are two.

Am I not understanding the purpose of the select action dialog box or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you
Tracy

• Edited by LadyTester Sunday, October 10, 2010 8:13 PM added more info
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 10th, 2010 11:11pm

You didn’t do anything wrong and this is expected behavior. When an Excel table is renamed, the link between it and the PowerPivot table is lost. The select action dialog will allow user to recover the link. Unrelated to link recovery, updating linked tables will fail if there’s data type mismatch.
  • Marked as answer by LadyTester Friday, October 15, 2010 2:41 AM
October 12th, 2010 10:24pm

You didn’t do anything wrong and this is expected behavior. When an Excel table is renamed, the link between it and the PowerPivot table is lost. The select action dialog will allow user to recover the link. Unrelated to link recovery, updating linked tables will fail if there’s data type mismatch.

Hello,

Thank you for letting me know that I'm not cracking up. I really thought that I was doing something wrong.

Tracy

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 15th, 2010 5:40am

in regard to renaming of tables > also be aware of following:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/a836cf41-b99b-4422-aadd-48f77d633fcc/switch-linked-xl-source-tables-behavior-change-excel-2010-pp-vs-excel-2013-pp-in-2013-all?forum=sqlkjpowerpivotforexcel

January 29th, 2014 5:36am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics