Link Server error

I am trying to create a linked server from SQL 2012 to 2008 by using a domain account. This domain account exists on both SQL boxes. I am trying to use "impersonate" option with "Not be made" if a login not defined in the list above. But I keep getting "Access to the remote server is denied because no login-mappping exists, error 7416" error. I have double checked this domain user exists on both SQL boxes with sys_admin right to it. I also checked the destination server have "trust this computer for delegation to any service" checked. I can use "Be made using this security context" option to make it work. What am I missing?

Thanks!

January 30th, 2015 11:36pm

Hello,

Error 7416 is usually received when you choose the Not be made option and no login has been explicitly mapped.

You have to set impersonate for trusted delegation of Windows authentication. Make sure both local and remote logins are set to expected values.

Examine SQL Server error log to verify which account is really being used for authentication.

Hope

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
SQLCoffee.com

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 30th, 2015 11:56pm

Try with To Be made without using a security context and in security option. Its no different from "Not be made" security context.

If you select "Not be Made" , the user must be identified in the login mappings then only he will be able to connect to the linked server Also "remote impersionate" to work the server must rightly configured with SPN's.

In order to check that you can create a SQL account and try to connect with remote impersionate with "Not be made" security context.

--Prashanth

January 31st, 2015 12:03am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics