Limited Administrators for Cloud in SCVMM

Hi Guys,

We've started moving some of our lab VMs from VMware to a Hyper-V cluster managed through SCVMM. We're running 2012 R2.

In VMware we have a role defined that allows members of a specific AD group to complete only the below tasks on ALL VMs:

- View Console

- Reboot

- Shut Down/Power On

- Reset

- Create and remove Snapshots (CheckPoints)

I don't see a logical way to define this kind of access in SCVMM. My only options seem to be a Read Only role and then Tenant or Application Admin which give more rights and then you are required to specify every VM or network you want the user to be able to manage. This doesn't work as our lab is fairly fluid (new VMs are added, VMs are deleted). I don't want to have to go through this wizard every time I add a VM.

Any suggestions?

~ Shaun

September 3rd, 2015 1:15pm

Hi Samir,

If I go through that process, pick the cloud, but don't select all the VMs. The users login and see no VMs in the cloud.

So it still seems like every time I add a VM I will have to go an edit the User Role or share it with the user role? If this is true I guess i'll just have to live with it; seems odd that you can't just assign a user role to all VMs in a cloud though.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 3rd, 2015 4:38pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics