Limit access to folder/files to only its creator

Hi everybody,

I am on a AD-based network driven by Windows Server 2008 as the Domain controller and a WIndows Server 2012 as a storage server.

There is a shared folder for sales persons where I want all sub-folders and files under those sub-folders created by user "Sales1" will be only accessible to user "Sales1" and not to other users, and same for "Sales2" - though other users (if possible by the final solution) might still see folders of the others, but double click will return "Permission denied".

The folder would lbe like below:

E: Sales Quotation

---- Sales person 1 

---------- <files>

---- Sales person 2

----------- <files>

... and so on

I tried to use the "Creator owner" user permissions and the "Access based enumeration" but still cannot execute my ideas.

Can you tell me if I have done anything wrong here? Or my idea would need another tool outside NTFS permissions of Windows Server?

June 24th, 2015 2:33pm

Hi,

If the files and subfolders are already existing, it will be difficult to change the NTFS permissions to creator owner.

If it is a new folder, try to config like this:

Say you have a folder E:\Sales

Go to Security tab - Advance, click Change Permissions. 

Click Disable inheritance, and click Remove to remove all permissions.

Now add the following permissions:

1. Domain Admins - Full Control - This Folder, Subfolders and Files (or change it as you needed)

2. Creator Owner - Full Control (Or any different settings which you would like to give the creator owner) - Subfolders and Files Only.

3. Everyone - Traverse folder/List folder/Read attributes/Read extended attributes/Read permissions - This folder only. (this is to allow users to go through the e:\Sales folder to get to its subfolders and files). 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 25th, 2015 3:00am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics