Licensing for Windows 2000 Server upgrade from NT 4.0 Server...
Howdy, y'all; we're gonna upgrade an NT 4.0 Server box from HP, an ML310G1, to 2000 Server for some reverse engineering of a legacy app. The 2000 Server distribution that we procured is for an upgrade (shouldn't be a problem), but I don't see any licensing documents, other than a couple of license agreement sheets, in English and French, that refer to "Microsoft Windows 2000 Server Upgrade Licenses: 1," and "Client Access License for Microsoft Windows 2000 Server Upgrade Licenses: 5." The 2000 Server installation CD has a Product Key sticker on the back, but there aren't any other sheets or brochures with keys. We bought this from an eBay seller with the understanding that we were buying a 1-server upgrade distribution package with 5 CALs. Are the license documents missing? Or is the 1-server, 5-CAL configuration determined by the Product Key on the CD box? Thanks in advance for your assistance. Andy in The OC, SoCal.
October 23rd, 2010 7:07pm

I'd probably ask them directly, 2000 is completely End-of-life since July http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/contact-us.aspx -- Mike Burr
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 23rd, 2010 8:40pm

Thanks for your note, Mike. Yup; we're aware that Windows 2000 is no longer supported, but it's adequate for this particular project, after which we'll probably just dispose of the box. HP still supplies drivers and other utilities for 2000 Server running on this box. I'll phone MS Licensing on Monday a.m. Andy in The OC, SoCal.
October 23rd, 2010 9:05pm

Ugh! Just wasted 30 minutes on hold w/ MS Licensing, being tranferred through the global phone tree. Wasn't even connected to someone who could begin to give me an answer. The various CSRs said that I needed a "technician" to answer my question, but was never connected to such a "technician." I'll simplify my question: When installing the 2000 Server upgrade on an NT 4.0 Server box, what keys, other than the Product Key on the CD case, must I enter to complete the licensing of the server and the 5 CALs? Thanks again. Andy in The OC, SoCal.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 26th, 2010 2:26pm

Ugh! Just wasted 30 minutes on hold w/ MS Licensing, being tranferred through the global phone tree. Wasn't even connected to someone who could begin to give me an answer. The various CSRs said that I needed a "technician" to answer my question, but was never connected to such a "technician." I'll simplify my question: When installing the 2000 Server upgrade on an NT 4.0 Server box, what keys, other than the Product Key on the CD case, must I enter to complete the licensing of the server and the 5 CALs? Thanks again. Andy in The OC, SoCal. Hello, licensing requires the server and jey and you just must have the correct amount of CALs available. Except if you use Terminal server CALs there is no licensing control where you have to add them. But as said from Mike Burr, Windows 2000 is out of it's lifetime and should be remvoed asap. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
November 7th, 2010 12:08pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics