Licensing RDP from 2008 to 2012

Hi,

First of all I now that Windows Server 2012 needs new RDP CAL licenses. I got a open license (bought for Win Srv 2008) CAL, and I tried to activate in in Windows Server 2012. Server accepted license and allow me to select "Windows Server 2012 license", so my question is: why server allowed me to use this license with no problem?

Regards,

Paul

February 9th, 2015 5:29pm

Hi Paul,

Regarding specific licensing query, I suggest you contact Microsoft Licensing Support to get more professional and accurate response:

Locate the Microsoft Clearinghouse Telephone Number for Your Country or Region

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754874.aspx

Microsoft Volume Licensing Activation Centers Worldwide Telephone Numbers

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/existing-customers/activation-centers.aspx

Best Regards,

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 12th, 2015 12:45am

Hi Paul,

Did you have active Software Assurance (SA) on your RDS CALs back when 2012 was released?  If yes then you also have the right to use 2012 RDS CALs.

When you log on to your VLSC account, does it say you have 2012 RDS CALs, or only 2008?

If you are 100% sure you do not own 2012 RDS CALs via SA entitlement or similar, then I would say the behavior you are seeing is just the lack of strict checking by the wizard.  I can tell you that it does allow you to make other similar mistakes, like installing the wrong type (Per Device when you own Per User) of RDS CAL.

The critical point is even if RD Licensing allows you to install RDS CALs you do not own it does not make you compliant with the license agreement and Product Use Rights document.  I recommend you verify whether or not you own 2012 RDS CALs and if not purchase the required amount.  One of the things you want to be able to demonstrate to an auditor is that you own the correct licenses.

-TP

February 12th, 2015 4:06am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics