LDAP SERVER

We are having one DC , we are planning to integrate our applications on LDAP server, my question is can i configure ldap services on the DC or shall i take another machine for configuring LDAP services.

Thanks

August 21st, 2015 2:58pm

Windows domain controllers have Active directory which utilize the LDAP protocol. If your applications can use LDAP then they can use active directory. I would say if you can stand up another DC so you can have redundancy and the ability to grow.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 21st, 2015 3:12pm

Hi,

Its always a better practice to avoid installing applications in domain controller to avoid security risk and resource usage by applications. You can either add a MemberServer (machine with server OS and not promoted to DC) or Workstation(machine with client OS) to the AD domain and configure the LDAP server.

Below thread on Configuring LDAP server in Windows 7 might be helpful,

Configuring Active Directory for LDAP purpose in Windows 7

August 22nd, 2015 8:08am

It is recommended to NOT install more that DNS and DHCP roles on the DC. This is for  performance, security and ease  of troubleshooting reasons. It is recommended to host your applications on member servers (Servers integrated to your AD) whenever this is possible.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 22nd, 2015 4:53pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics