Keyboard Direction arrows not working correctly Server Manager
I am using Server 2008 R2 std. Server manager automatically launches which is fine. However the direction arrows on the keyboard along with backspace don't work. I have to close Server Manager and reopen it. It happens on the console and in remote desktop. It only appears to happen to one of my servers. This server is up to date. Thanks.
June 7th, 2010 9:55pm

Hello, this sounds for me like a keyboard and not a Windows server problem, did you change to another keyboard to verify?Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 8th, 2010 12:06am

Hi Jlongjr, I agree with Meinolf. Please first change a keyboard to verify the problem. Additionally, if you donnot want Server Manager starts everytime you start Windows, you can go to Computer Information in the Server Summary section of Server Manager and select “Do not show me this console at logon”. You can also achieve this by setting the registry value “DoNotOpenServerManagerAtLogon” to 1 under the registry HKEY_Cuurent_User\Software\Microsoft\ServerManager. *Notice: On July 1st we will be making this forum read only. After receiving a lot of feedback from the community, it was decided that this forum is a duplication and therefore redundant of the General Forum. So, until July 1st, we will start asking customers to redirect their questions to the General Forum. On June 11th, CSS engineers will move any new threads to the General Forum. Please post a reply to the announcement thread if you have any feedback on this decision or the process. You can also email WSSDComm@microsoft.com. Regards, Karen Ji This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
June 8th, 2010 8:33am

I don't think it's a keyboard issue. This morning I attempted to recreate the problem and I can't, which is just about as frustrating as the problem its self! It has happened more than once, enough for me to post my question. If it does happen again I will plug another keyboard into my workstation and report back. Thanks for the suggestions. John
June 8th, 2010 6:11pm

It happened again. I tried another keyboard and the problem persisted. It doesn't happen all the time. I haven't found a way to easily replicate the problem. A workaround is to close server manager and re open it. Aside from it being annoying it isn't a huge problem.
June 8th, 2010 10:12pm

I figured out the cause. If the remote desktop session locks and you unlock it, the keyboard arrow direction and backspace keys don't work. You can disconnect the session and reconnect to the session and the problem persists. However, if the keyboard is working and you disconnect the session and reconnect the keyboard will continue to work. It only appears to be if the session locks, let's say after a set time out. I do have a set time out for computers to lock that is set via a gpo setting. I just don't know where to start to look to fix a problem like this.
June 8th, 2010 10:36pm

Hi Jlongjr, Do you mean that your key board doesn't work on the remote desktop of another computer or the host computer? You may try to update the driver for the keyboard and see whether that helps. Regards, Karen JiThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
June 9th, 2010 9:18am

The problem happens on the console and through remote desktop. The only keys that don't work are the arrow keys and the backspace key. Also if you turn num lock off the number pad arrows don't work either. The really strange thing is the only program affected by this issue is Server Manager. If you close Server Manager and re open it the problem goes away. It's only this one server too. I have other server 2008 r2 servers running in the same configuration and the problem doesn't happen. Of course they have different rolls and features installed. I'll try reinstalling the keyboard driver. Thanks!
June 9th, 2010 6:08pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics