Key Required after hardware upgrade
I am having an issue with my server running Windows Server 2003 sp2 after replacing my raid controller. This issue only occurs when launching windows applications such as Windows Explorer, IE, Control Panel etc. When launching any of the Windows Applications listed above I get the following error message. "Key Required" "The security key for this program currently stored on your system does not appear to be valid for this version of the program. Select Yes to enter a new key, or No to revert to the default setting (if any)." If I click Yes I get the following dialog Box "Enter Key" "Enter the registration name and key below, exactly as it was given to you." followed by "Hardware fingerprint: E6C2-322B" followed by fields to enter the Name and Key. If I click no I get another dialog box that reads "Key Required" "This program requires a security key. If you have one, select OK to enter it. After entering a valid key, you will not be prompted again." If I click cancel the application opens. Since this only happens for windows components I thought it was asking for the windows security key but entering that key doesn't help. Because this is on a terminal server servicing clients throughout our organization It is important that I resolve the problem as it affects everyone logging onto the server. No error code or specific program is listed in any of the dialog boxes. Can anyone help me resolve this issue? Thanks, Burt
December 13th, 2011 5:52pm

this may be the registration key for your RAID controller software? it's not a MS message i've ever heard or seen, and only a couple of google hits for that exact string/phrase, and both for non-MS software. older Dell/HP/IBM RAID boxes I worked with, used to have this kind of stuff for firmware/controllers.. Don
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 14th, 2011 6:11am

What type of license do you have OEM? Please contact the nearest Microsoft Activation Center. Have your keys ready when you call support. Regards Milos
December 14th, 2011 6:13am

Looks like it was a 3rd party file fiewer called Explorer View. I deleted the program and the errors have gone away. Would have been nice if the name of the program had shown up in the dialog box. Thanks for the help.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 14th, 2011 11:18am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics