Kernel panic not syncing after yum update to RHEL 6.7

After installing a fresh install of RHEL 6.6, installing LIS 4.0.11 and then yum updating to latest 6.7; we now see a kernel panic upon boot. I tried running the below command to rebuild the img file with the HV drivers in them, but it still gives the same panic. Anyone have any ideas?

dracut --add-drivers "hv_storvsc hv_vmbus ata_piix" --force /boot/initramfs-2.6.32-573.3.1.el6.x86_64.img 2.6.32-573.3.1.el6.x86_64
The kernel panic
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
Pid: 1, comm: init Not tainted 2.6.32-573.3.1.el6.x86_64 #1
Call Trace:
 [<ffffffff????????>] ? panic+0xa7/0x16f
 [<ffffffff????????>] ? do_exit+0x867/0x870
 [<ffffffff????????>] ? fput+0x25/0x30
 [<ffffffff????????>] ? do_group_exit+0x58/0xd0
 [<ffffffff????????>] ? sys_exit_group+0x17/0x20
 [<ffffffff????????>] ? system_call_fastpath+0x16/0x1b

September 9th, 2015 8:48pm

Ok, I figured this out about 10 min after I posted this. I just reinstalled the LIS 4.0.11 using the RHEL67 content with a --force. I then reran the dracut command and rebooted, it booted as normal into 6.7 with no kernel panic.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 9th, 2015 9:16pm

Hi, I'm having the same issue. I get the kernel panic when trying to boot. I did a yum update from Centos 6.6 to 6.7, although I was running LIS 4.0.7. I'd appreciate your help as I'm a Linux novice. How can I run the dracut command if I can't get the VM to boot up?
September 14th, 2015 3:00pm

After some googling, I found out my problem was I was running LIS 4.0.7 before doing the yum update to Centos 6.7. The version of LIS I was running did not support Centos 6.7. For the novices like me, here is a detailed description of what I did:

-Booted up my VM and pressed ESC at the boot screen to stop it from booting using the latest kernel version, which would crash with the kernel panic.

-At GNU GRUB screen, I chose the 2nd option from the top which was my previous kernel version. The 1st option is the newest kernel version. This will boot your VM using the previous kernel version and allow you to log in. 

-Once I logged in, I download the LIS 4.0.11 tar.gz file. Extract it and go to the RHEL67 folder. Modify through vi the install.sh script. Look for the rpm command (it's listed twice) and add '--force' at the end of the line. Save the changes to the file and run it. This will install the Centos 6.7 compatible version of LIS 4.0.11. When it's done reboot your VM.

-It should boot up using the latest kernel version automatically without throwing a kernel panic. 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 14th, 2015 5:08pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics