KMS setup issue
I have KMS setup on Server 2003 R2 x64. Everything appears to be setup correctly but when I try to install my key using the command "cscript C:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk <mykey> it returns the error "Run 'slui.exe 0x2a 0xC0020029' to display the error text Error: 0xC0020029" I have tried my KMS B keys for Server 2008 R2, Windows 7, and Windows Vista. They all return the same error. I also tried my key for Server 2003 R2 x64, that one just told me it was an invalid key (which is what I was expecting). Anyone have any thoughts?
July 4th, 2011 10:10am

Have you follow this advice and run from command prompt with elevated rights? In my understanding it would give some more information Run 'slui.exe 0x2a 0xC0020029 Here is article on KMS troubleshooting http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee939272.aspx Regards Milos
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 4th, 2011 3:21pm

Thank you for the reply. I have reviewed the info in your post but I am not finding anything to help with this specific error. My main issue is that I am not able to install a key and therefore not able to activate it. When I try to install a key I get the following error "Run 'slui.exe 0x2a 0xC0020029' to display the error text Error: 0xC0020029" I did try to run slui.exe on my 2003 server but the file is not found. I attempted to run it on my Windows 7 machine just to see what would happen and it came back a with a general activation error but there was no other info in that message.
July 4th, 2011 3:59pm

1. Google is nearly silent about this error. That is why I "advertized" general KMS troubleshooting. 2. There are KMS keys in MS URL and I expect that you have used these ones.... 3. If you are certain about the KMS client keys and the error is consistent for every client, then we can expect the error source is in DNS configuration. A bit tedious way to find something is the use of network monitor. Details of communication between client and DNS/KMS may point to the source of problem. 4. MS Activation Center may help or at least point to the right helping hand in MS.
July 4th, 2011 4:44pm

if I run 'slui.exe 0x2a 0xC0020029' on win 2008 R2, it shows the following : [Window Title] Windows Activation [Main Instruction] An error has occurred [Content] You can also contact Microsoft by phone to help resolve this problem. [^] Hide details [Close] [Expanded Information] Code: 0xC0020029 Description: The endpoint is a duplicate. So the error you may need to investiage is "The endpoint is a duplicate" Name clashes? cloned the OS perhaps? Is the RPC endpoint mapper running? Is there any other information in the server event logs? You may need to change the correct directory on Win2003 to run slui, it's probably not in the path.
July 4th, 2011 10:28pm

Have you used procedure silimilar to the following? Excerpt from Inet (and misc KB at the end): Obtain a KMS key from Microsoft Volume Licensing Services (MVLS). If you plan to install and run KMS Server on Windows Server 2003, download the Key Management Service Package for Windows Server 2003. Open an command prompt with elevated privileges (except Windows Server 2003). Type the following command followed by Enter to install the KMS key: cscript C:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs -ipk <KMS key> Type the following command followed by Enter to activate the KMS server host itself: cscript C:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs -ato KMS server configuration is done. KMS host will automatically publishes its SRV (Service Location) record on DNS server. All Windows Vista client machines will automatically use DNS auto discovery to detect the KMS host and retrieve the product key from the KMS server (no product key required is any way). How to Test if KMS Host (Server) is Working As a KMS host requires a minimum of at least 25 Vista machines count before activation can be done, so the easy way to check if a KMS server is working properly or not is by trying to manually activate a Vista machine against the newly setup KMS. When you try to activate Vista manually on a KMS host which still has less than 25 counts (Vista clients), the following error message will appear: 0xC004F038 The computer could not be activated. The returned count from your Key Management Service is insufficient. If this error is returned, you will be pretty sure that at least KMS is contactable and working properly. It’s also possible to monitor the event logs of the server and client – to see if any Windows Vista client try to activate via the KMS server successfully. On Windows Vista workstations, all KMS activation requests and responses are logged in the global application event log under Windows Logs as Microsoft Windows Security Licensing SLC events 12288 and 12289, respectively. On KMS Server, all requests received from all client computers are logged under Applications and Services/Key Management Service as Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC event 12290. On a KMS Server running on Windows Server 2003 SP1, the event logs are located under Applications. This describes solution of problem with clients: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929829/en-us
July 5th, 2011 8:33am

This is exactly what I have done. However when I get to step 4 to install the key, that is when i get the error. I have tried all my vista, server 2008, and windows 7 KMS keys. I get the same error on all of them.
July 5th, 2011 8:52am

Hello, I think this could be caused by RPC, but look at the Application event log, any errors or warnings happening around the time you get this error. Security-SPP would be the service and if cannot start you may generate this error message.Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
July 5th, 2011 7:12pm

Hi, According to my research, the OxC0020029 error message pointed to a bad installation of the software. Please try reinstalling the KMS software to check the results. For more information on setup KMS, please also refer to the following link: Deploying KMS Activation http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793409.aspx Please update us the results. Thanks. NinaPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
July 6th, 2011 4:11am

The RPC service is running. I don't see anything referencing the Security-SPP service or Software Licsening service in the list of services. I am now wondering if that could be the problem. I think I will try to do a reinstall this evening and see if that helps any. Thanks to everyone for your responses
July 6th, 2011 7:41am

Hi, Any update on this issue? If there is anything that I can do for you, please feel free to let me know. Thanks. NinaPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
July 8th, 2011 5:21am

I did do the re-install but there was no change. I am attempting to get a hold of someone to verify our KMS licensese are still in good standing and we have the correct keys as well.
July 8th, 2011 7:10am

I have adviced you Network Monitor. Have you managed to gain something reasonable from the logs? If clients give the same error consistently and client keys are proper ones, then the problem should be on the DNS / KMS side or the communication between client and KMS server (port 1688). Regards Milos
July 8th, 2011 10:30am

Hello, I am not getting much from the logs, this is from the Application Event viewer there is nothing in any of the other viewers. Are there any other log files I should be looking for? For what it is worth, if i try to install a key that shouldn't work (like a MAK or volume license key) it comes back and tells me that it isn't a valid key so it seems that it is getting out but I may be wrong on that. Installation of the Proof of Purchase failed. hr=0xC0020029 Partial Pkey=FFCVJ ACID=d188820a-cb63-4bad-a9a2-40b843ee23b7 Detailed Error[]
July 9th, 2011 8:04am

Hi, The issue is caused by that the KMS components is corrupt. We just need to reinstall the KMS Service as below: ------------------------ a. Uninstall KMS b. Reinstall KMS c. slmgr.vbs /ipk d. slmgr.vbs /ato Thanks.Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
July 12th, 2011 6:50am

I have uninstalled and reinstalled KMS twice with no luck. It does fine during the install but when I try to run slmgr.vbs /ipk I get the error. Nothing new in the logs either. I did create a similar server off of the main network for testing purposes and it worked fine. Beginning to wonder if there is something wrong with the OS on the server.
July 12th, 2011 10:59am

Hello GEORick, Can you make your application and system event log available for download?Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
July 12th, 2011 1:07pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics