KMS server is driving me nuts
Hi there, I have the following situation: Network that has about 525 Windows XP and Windows 7 computers and all off them have Office 2010 on it (all software is enterprise). We have about 13 2008 and 2008R2 servers. The servers and computers now are activated by a MAK key. Because off some activation problems we have installed a KMS server on one off the servers and that one seems to work. I tried to install a KMS key on one off the Windows 7 workstations but I cannot get it to activate itself. At the beginning I got the message that I tried to install a key that is when making a key management infrastructure. I had teh wrong key but when I use the right key I get a error that the workstation cannot activate itself. When using KMS Client Setup Keys from the documentation I get a message that there aren´t enought computer registered at the server. So the server works but I only need to activate 25 Windows 7 computers. What am I doing wrong ? I'm going from MAk to KMS key's. Is this the problem? At the server I see the number of computers is 2 (I don't know how this is possible) and I have 64 computers that are in the Grace periode. I also find this strange because all computers on the network have a MAK key. Thanks, Marcel
January 31st, 2011 3:54pm

Hello Marceldejagar, First use VAMT to check the status of the machines, let's make sure they are all really using MAK keys and to verify that there are not any extra KMS host machines out there. Volume Activation Management Tool ( VAMT) 2.0 Now it may be possible the CMID on the KMS clients are duplicated, here is a blog post on trouble-shooting that. Duplicate CMIDs mean the machine appears to be the same to the KMS host machine so it's only counted as one. KMS Host Client Count not Increasing Due to Duplicate CMID’s Also check DNS to see if the machines are finding the KMS host, from the KMS client machines nslookup -type=srv _vlmcs._tcp Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 31st, 2011 8:27pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics