KMS client connection
Good morning, I work for a deployable staff. We have a mobile server that we bring for these deployments. During the deployment we have about 150 to 200 clients working on the network. When we are in the office only 5 to 10 clients are online. As we are planning to upgrade to Windows 2008 R2 with Windows 7 clients I was wondering how this is going to work wit the KMS server. If I did my home well, the Windows 7 wants to be activated every 180 days. When we are in the office, sometimes longer than 180 days, the KMSclient count will get below 25. So the KMS server will stop activating! I know, connecting 25 clients will do the trick, but is there another way we could keep the client count over 25?? Or am I wrong and will the KMS server keep on going ones it hits 25? Hope somebody can help. Regards, Chris
September 13th, 2011 10:25am

Hi, consider leaving the KMS on you main site and deploying aditionnal KMS servers in remote offices with really poor WAN bandwith (allthough traffic from KMS is not much) KMS is intended to be all-time connected to your network. ('your' as in 'the network with the clients') Another consideration you should make is that KMS relies on dns resource records. Moving the server to another site means to another IP and dns should be adjusted for this. MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 14th, 2011 2:32pm

Good evening SenneVL, Thanks for answering!! I will probably have multiple KMS servers running. That is no problem!! My main problem is about the clients in the office!! When we are in the office only 5 to 10 clients are online. Is this going to give me any problems?? Regards, Chris
September 14th, 2011 3:27pm

Hello, There needs to be 25 unique machines that contact the KMS host over any 30 day period to maintain the count at 25 or more.Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 14th, 2011 3:48pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics