KMS and Windows 10 keys

Greetings,

we have a Problem to insert the Windows 10 KMS keys on our Windows 2012 R2 KMS host Server. We intalled the hotfix KB3058168 and rebootet the System, but if we want enter the Windows 10 KMS key, a error message appears

"The specified product key is invalid, or is unsupported by this Version of VAMT. An update to Support additional products may be available online"

The Version of VMAT is from the ADK 8.1(6.3.9600.0). have we done any mistake during the steps and have someone a solution for this Problem.

Product keys from older Windows Version works fine

Kind regards   

Thomas

July 30th, 2015 9:34am

Are you sure the ADK 8.1 VMAT support windows 10 keys ?

You should maybe try to go to the new version ADK 10 ?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 30th, 2015 12:00pm

I tried it with ADK 10. But the result ii is the same.   

"The specified product key is invalid, or is unsupported by this Version of VAMT. An update to Support additional products may be available online"

July 30th, 2015 12:43pm

It would be best if you contacted your Microsoft Activation Center to help you with this question - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Licensing/existing-customer/activation-centers.aspx
July 30th, 2015 2:26pm

Hi Thomas,

VAMT is designed to manage volume activation for: Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2, Microsoft Office 2010, and Microsoft Office 2013.

Besides, as Time mentioned, it is better to ask Activation Center for the problem of license.

Best Regards,

Leo

July 31st, 2015 9:04am

we have a Problem to insert the Windows 10 KMS keys on our Windows 2012 R2 KMS host Server. We intalled the hotfix KB3058168 and rebootet the System, but if we want enter the Windows 10 KMS key, a error message appears

You cannot insert/install a Windows10 KMS Product Key, to a Windows Server OS.
(Nor can you insert/install Windows8.1 / Windows8.0 / Windows7 / WindowsVista, Product Key to any Windows Server OS)

A Windows "client" KMS Product Key (Vista/7/8/8.1/10) can only be inserted/installed to a Windows "client" OS.

To establish a KMS host upon a Windows Server OS, you can only use a Windows Server KMS Host Product Key.
At this time, no suitable Windows Server 10 (Windows Server 2016?) KMS Host Product Keys are available from MSFT.

If you wish to establish a KMS Host for Windows 10, (before the release of Windows Server 2016), you must use a Windows 10 "client" OS for the KMS Host Product Key, as a KMS Host.

:(

[EDIT: this is my assumption so far, based on all the previous times MSFT have released a new OS. MSFT might do something diffe

August 1st, 2015 7:33am

I would agree with you on the client vs server KMS host key but with the patch stated above gives you this in the list. (slmgr /DLI ALL)

Description: Windows(R) Operating System, VOLUME_KMS_2012-R2_WIN10 channel

If I am reading this correctly the 2012 R2 server should activate win10 but we are missing something.

August 1st, 2015 10:32am

Follow this https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/jj612867.aspx

M.

August 1st, 2015 11:29am

I see this on my KMS.  Our existing key says this:

Name: Windows(R), ServerDatacenter edition
Description: Windows(R) Operating System, VOLUME_KMS_WS12_R2 channel
Partial Product Key: *****
License Status: Licensed

Key Management Service is enabled on this machine
    Current count: 50
    Listening on Port: 1688
    DNS publishing disabled
    KMS priority: Normal

Key Management Service cumulative requests received from clients
    Total requests received: 1954386
    Failed requests received: 185937

Name: Windows(R), ServerDatacenter edition
Description: Windows(R) Operating System, VOLUME_KMS_2012-R2_WIN10 channel
This license is not in use.
License Status: Unlicensed

Key Management Service is enabled on this machine
    Current count: 50
    Listening on Port: 1688
    DNS publishing disabled
    KMS priority: Normal

Key Management Service cumulative requests received from clients
    Total requests received: 1954386
    Failed requests received: 185937

I'm not sure how to change from one to the other to make the new entry "Licensed".

August 1st, 2015 12:33pm

I tried to install the patch again and getting already installed message.  The instructions are not complete for activating Windows 10 KMS host key on a win 2012 R2 KMS server.
August 1st, 2015 1:31pm

Got it!!

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/666b8ac6-d39d-43a1-abc5-e7cd9489accc/windows-10-kms-requirements?forum=win10itprogeneral

MSLSC Website
 Licenses
  Relationship Summary
   pick your Active Licensing ID
      Product Key
       Windows Srv 2012R2 DataCtr/Std KMS for Windows 10

August 1st, 2015 10:04pm

Thanks to a list I'm on someone described where to find the right key in VLSC.   It's not in the CSV and it's not in the "Downloads and Keys" section.  It's under Licenses -> Relationship Summary -> [Your Licensing Enrolment] -> Product Keys.

• Proposed as answer by DonPick 7 minutes ago
August 2nd, 2015 12:18am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics