KMS Server and License Migration
HI All, I'm doing the cross forest migration and Domain A use the KMS Server and all the Servers and Workstations are connect to the KMS Server in Domain A. So if i move to the new domain what will happend to those 25 servers and 1000 PC's ( windows 2003/2008 & windoows 7 & Xp) How do i setup new KMS Server and migrate? Thanks, AS
December 18th, 2011 7:52pm

Hi, KMS is domain-independant, the important piece is that KMSclients can locate KMShost (usually via DNS). http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793434.aspx (Windows) http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff603508.aspx (Office) Don
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 18th, 2011 8:31pm

Thanks, I'll read these docs.
December 19th, 2011 12:48am

Hi, From the problem description, I understand that you would like to do the cross forest and domain migration. And you still would like to use the KMS activation method. Just like the Don mentioned. The KMS is domain-independent. KMS client computers can locate KMS host computers by using DNS or a static configuration. KMS clients contact the KMS host by using remote procedure call (RPC). So if the KMS host is not changed, and you make sure the 25 servers and 1000+ PCs could contact the KMS host, the activation will not be affected. The links Don provided are helpful to get a better understanding of the KMS. Note: If you are planning to change the KMS host, you need to make some changes to make sure the KMS clients could resolve the new KMS host DNS. There is a link for your reference: Title: Migrate an Office 2010 KMS host URL: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff923247.aspx I hope the information provided above is helpful to you. Regards, JamesJames Xiong TechNet Community Support
December 20th, 2011 3:10am

HI, These Servers and Pc's are migrate to new domain and i found that we need to purchase new license for those? 1. What will happen after i add to new domain? 2. How long can these Servers and PC's can work without activation? 3. Can we use OEM Licence to work with? 4. What is the best licensing model for this situation? ( If they can't transfer the lic) AS
December 28th, 2011 7:16pm

These Servers and Pc's are migrate to new domain and i found that we need to purchase new license for those? Why? The machines are already licensed! 1. What will happen after i add to new domain? The AD domain makes no difference. The DNS domain, and name resolution is what matters. 2. How long can these Servers and PC's can work without activation? KMSclient machines can operate up to 180days between re-activations, before notification occurs. New activations it's 30days. 3. Can we use OEM Licence to work with? OEM licenses will only work correctly with OEM media/installations. 4. What is the best licensing model for this situation? ( If they can't transfer the lic) Why is a transfer required? Are you merging two companies, or divesting one company? If so, then your reseller can help with the task of merge/separation of the licenses. Don
December 28th, 2011 7:57pm

HI, Thanks, Company A only one business unit merging to a comapny B. So Company A got the license and not sure they can transfer. As
December 29th, 2011 9:28pm

HI, 1. Why? The machines are already licensed!? Yes , But this license under Source Domian KMS. Once the trust break they will complain isn't it? 2. How do we find the licencse type for servers and desktops? AS
June 26th, 2012 3:58am

1. Why? The machines are already licensed!? Yes , But this license under Source Domian KMS. Once the trust break they will complain isn't it? No, the domain trust doesn't matter. if you separate/isolate to another network e.g. firewall then you need to convert those to another KMS or convert to MAK. 2. How do we find the licencse type for servers and desktops? you can use VAMT tool to discover the installed license types on your servers and desktops.Don
June 26th, 2012 4:34am

Hello, Is there a VL agreement with Company A and separate VL agreement with Company B? When the machines go to renew their activation, the machine will attempt to find the KMS host they used previously. If they cannot reach that KMS host, they will query DNS for a KMS host, they will then find the KMS host that is presented by the current DNS server machine and attempt to activate. There is no license transfer happening here as part of this process. This is an activation process only, the KMS host enables the KMS client to be able to activate. The licenses are covered by the agreements not the process. Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
June 26th, 2012 6:58pm

HI All, Just install KMS Server and found client PC showing following. Why it's says Volume activation expiration: 247380 minute(s) (171 day(s)) ? this mean every 180 days client check the KMS Server? Currently all my clients point to my source KMS Server. Do i need to change or leave it as its? C:\Windows\System32>cscript slmgr.vbs /dli Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.8 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Name: Windows(R) 7, Professional edition Description: Windows Operating System - Windows(R) 7, VOLUME_KMSCLIENT channel Partial Product Key: GPDD4 License Status: Licensed Volume activation expiration: 247380 minute(s) (171 day(s))
June 29th, 2012 1:38am

Hi, this is normal/expected for KMSclients. KMSclients need to "phone home" to KMShost every 7days with maximum 180days before the client will switch into warning mode.Don
June 29th, 2012 3:33am

THanks, So how do i point windows XP ?
July 2nd, 2012 6:51pm

THanks, So how do i point windows XP ? WindowsXP does not use KMS, does not use Volume Activation 2.0, does not "phone home"Don
July 3rd, 2012 4:14am

HI, OK, So i moved 200 Win XP's from Domain A to Domain B . Now what do i have to do with those? How do i check the licese status on these xp? AS
July 3rd, 2012 7:05pm

HEllo Moving Windows XP machines from Domain A to Domain B, should not have any effect on activation status. Right-click on My Computer and choose properties to checkThanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
July 3rd, 2012 8:15pm

Description: Windows Operating System - Windows Server(R), VOLUME_KMS_R2_B chann el Partial Product Key: KxXX3 License Status: Licensed Key Management Service is enabled on this machine Current count: 50 Listening on Port: 1688 DNS publishing enabled KMS priority: Normal Key Management Service cumulative requests received from clients Total requests received: 453 Failed requests received: 0 Requests with License Status Unlicensed: 0 Requests with License Status Licensed: 442 Requests with License Status Initial grace period: 4 Requests with License Status License expired or Hardware out of tolerance: 4 Requests with License Status Non-genuine grace period: 0 Requests with License Status Notification: 3 What do i do with underline one and why only 50 count?
July 10th, 2012 1:10am

Description: Windows Operating System - Windows Server(R), VOLUME_KMS_R2_B chann el Partial Product Key: KxXX3 License Status: Licensed Key Management Service is enabled on this machine Current count: 50 Listening on Port: 1688 DNS publishing enabled KMS priority: Normal Key Management Service cumulative requests received from clients Total requests received: 453 Failed requests received: 0 Requests with License Status Unlicensed: 0 Requests with License Status Licensed: 442 Requests with License Status Initial grace period: 4 Requests with License Status License expired or Hardware out of tolerance: 4 Requests with License Status Non-genuine grace period: 0 Requests with License Status Notification: 3 What do i do with underline one and why only 50 count? The KMS current count will stop counting once twice the threshold is reached. So if threshold is 25, it counts up to 50 and then doesn't count beyond that. If clients age out over time, the current count will drop down, and if it drops below 25 it will cease issuing activations, but you will never see the number more than 50. So this is normal. The "Requests" counters are cumulative, and typically this is where a client has contacted the KMS, offered its current status (eg "Notification status") and the KMS will then issue activation to the client and the client changes status into "Licensed Status". There is no action for you to take (it is automatic), unless the client cannot change to Licensed status. In this case you would need to identify that client (usually by a call from the user) and diagnose/resolve that client. You could examine the KMS event logs to find this client and proactively investigate it. I don't chase these down (I have 14000 clients and they can call me if there is a problem :)Don
July 10th, 2012 4:48am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics