KMS Server - Can I activate Server 2012 and NOT Win 8?
I am looking to find out if there is a way to activate Windows Server 2012 and below, and Windows 7 and below through a KMS server. We are licensed for 2012, but not for Win 8, so I was hoping there was an easy way to prevent these from sliding in. All of what I've been reading leads me to believe that if Server 12 goes in, so does Win 8. Any ideas?
November 15th, 2012 12:11pm

2012 CSVLK will activate Windows 8 so you're right. KMS is not designed to perform auditing in this way, the idea is server SKU activates server and client. My only thought may be using Active Directory Activation and ACLing the object in configuration container such that server entities are the only ones which have access but then again that would require 2012 Forest Functional Level but that is likely out of scope. Dave Guenthner [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. http://blogs.technet.com/b/davguents_blog
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 15th, 2012 2:01pm

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I was told my predecessor turned off Win 7 activation while allowing Server 2008R2, but didn't see it myself, so thought I might be missing something. he probably didn't actually turn Win 7 off.
November 15th, 2012 3:21pm

leave your existing KMS at its current level, i.e. don't upgrade it to issue activations for Server2012 (since you can't do Server2012 witout doing Win8) then activat your Server2012 machines using MAK. (I'm assuming you are using KMS at the moment?)Don (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 15th, 2012 3:21pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics