KMS Ports required for Firewall
Hi I have to complete a firewall request to open up ports for KMS prior to a KMS solution being implemented. However, the following text (technet) has prompted me to question whether all communication between the host and clients happen over TCP 1688. Communication with KMS is via anonymous RPC. 1688 is the default TCP port used by the clients to connect to the KMS host. Make sure this port is open between your KMS clients and the KMS host. The port can be changed and can be configured on the KMS host. The KMS clients receive this port designation from the KMS host during their communication. If you change the port on a KMS client, it will be overwritten when that client contacts the host. Is TCP 1688 the only ports required to allow successful communication between KMS client and KMS host? Or is there a second requirement to open up another RPC port? I appreciate this is a trivial question, but this solution is being implemented into a large enterprise with many firewalls. Thanks
January 31st, 2011 9:14am

the bset way to check could be by using wireshark and tracing the traffic. Thanks http://www.virmansec.com/blogs/skhairuddin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 31st, 2011 9:46am

Hello, if you talk about the KMS only then port 1688 is enough. But of course there are other ports in the network that are also required on the machines. DNS for example or other service/application requriements. So a network capture like mentioned from Syed is a good starting point.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
January 31st, 2011 10:48am

Hello, You can also set the different port using /sprt parameter. syntax: slmgr.vbs /parameter /sprt PortNumber Sets the TCP communications port on a KMS host. Replace PortNumber with the TCP port number to use. The default setting is 1688. For more details check this link. Thanks.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 31st, 2011 11:52am

Any update?
February 3rd, 2011 9:15pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics