KMS Host not accepting VLK issued KMS keys.
Hi,I am setting up a KMS host on a DC in a sandbox environment to ensure readiness for the production environment.For testing sake, we used Server 2008 MSDN bits. After receiving purchased volume licensed KMS keys for Server 2008 Std/Ent and Vista Business, I am unable to add either keys to the KMS Host with the following error:----------C:\Windows\System32>cscript slmgr.vbs /ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX (Vlk issued KMS key)Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.7Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Run 'slui.exe 0x2a 0xC004F015' to display the error text.Error: 0xC004F015-------------Running slui.exe 0x2a0xC004F015 results with:------------An error has occurred.The Software Licensing Servce reported that the license is not installed.-----------The KMS host DC was activated a few weeks back with MSDN key. Am I mixing apples with oranges or should we be allowed to install VLK KMS keys on MSDN bits?We received other VLK keys forWindows Srv 2008 Data Ctr/Itan- KMS andWindows Web Srv 2008-KMSwhich was successfully added to the KMS host but the bulk of our deployments are Server 2008 Enterprse and Vista Business.Any help is appreciated! I can provide more information if needed.Andrew
August 8th, 2008 2:07am

Do you have the Volume Activation Manangement Tool intalled on the DC? That is the tool to use to install and validate the keys and to activate new hosts.Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 8th, 2008 5:10am

Hi Bill,We did not put VAMT on the DC. From what I read, VAMT was to activate clients with MAK keys and the KMS Host Service was to activate clients using KMS keys. Is that correct?Thanks,AndrewAndrew
August 8th, 2008 6:28am

That could well be the case, but I doubt it. I have only ever used MAK keys, but the tool certainly has provision for KMS keys. Here is an extract from the help file. Configure Computers for KMS ActivationThis procedure enables you to perform volume activation using the Windows Key Management Service (KMS). You can use the VAMT to install and activate KMS Client keys on computers accessible to the VAMT. The KMS Client keys are the default product keys used by Volume License editions of Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008. Before configuring KMS activation, ensure that your network and VAMT installation meet the following requirements: All computers are in a common network managed by Active Directory. The KMS host computer is in the domain. The VAMT is installed on a central computer with network access to all client computers. The computers to be activated have been added to the VAMT. The VAMT has administrative permissions on all computers to be activated, and Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) is accessible through the Windows firewall. For more information, see Configure Client Computers.Bill
August 8th, 2008 9:44am

Hi Andrew, This issue may occur if a product key is not installed on the system. To work around this issue, install the MAK product key. Or, install the KMS key that is located in the following folder on the installation media: Sources\Pid.txt. In addition, please understand we can only install 1 KMS key on a KMS host. If we try to install another KMS key on a KMS host which already has a KMS key installed, this error will appear. Hope it helps. Tim Quan - MSFT
August 8th, 2008 12:00pm

Hi Tim,The DC where the KMS host resides was activated with a MAK key, albeit MSDN (for testing). I ensured there were no KMS keys on the host by running slmgr.vbs /dli before I tried the keys above.Thanks,AndrewAndrew
August 8th, 2008 7:52pm

Hi Andrew, Thank you for the reply. If it is convenient for you, I suggest reinstalling Windows Server 2008 without inputting the product key and then installing KMS again. If the issue persists, please send me the SetupErr.log file in %windir%\panther for more information. In addition, please send me the Event Logs: 1. Click Start, type eventvwr and press Enter. 2. Send the Windows Logs/Application file to me. 3. Send the Application and Services Logs/Key Management Service file to me. Please upload the above files to the following site: https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=9061676d-7a10-42a2-b78f-a646ce11e3b1 Password: 5fM[sO!0KZ0 I look forward to hearing from you. Tim Quan - MSFT
August 11th, 2008 1:34pm

Tim,I am having the exact same problem as Andrew
August 13th, 2008 10:27pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics