KMS Count Not Correct
I have KMS (Key Management Services?) set up on a Windows 2008 server. When I run slmgr.vbs -dli it shows the current count as four computers. We have four Windows 2008 servers and about 22 Vista clients. Shoudn't the count be 26? I want new Vista computers (and Windows 7 computers if possible) to activate via the KMS server and I'm hoping to meet the count requirements for KMS (25 I believe). I realize virtual machines do not contribute to the count. Only one of the Windows 2008 computers is a virtual machine. None of the Vista computers are virtual machines.
September 4th, 2009 7:54pm

I have KMS (Key Management Services?) set up on a Windows 2008 server. When I run slmgr.vbs -dli it shows the current count as four computers. We have four Windows 2008 servers and about 22 Vista clients. Shoudn't the count be 26? I want new Vista computers (and Windows 7 computers if possible) to activate via the KMS server and I'm hoping to meet the count requirements for KMS (25 I believe). I realize virtual machines do not contribute to the count. Only one of the Windows 2008 computers is a virtual machine. None of the Vista computers are virtual machines. A couple of questions:1. Did you use the KMS key instead of the MAK key when installing the OS?2. Is the firewall turned off or the required port open to allow communication with the KMS server? (1688)3. When deploying your server's/clients did you "ghost"/clone them, if you did, did you newsid or sysprep them? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/9298294. Has it been over 30 days since you've deployed the KMS server? See below Quote from MSKMSRecommended default methodEnables local activation of unlimited number of systemsNow supports virtual and physical client systems Requires: At least 25 systems connecting to KMS host in any given 30 days & client systems connect with KMS host at least once every 180 days You can always manually activate a KMS client: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc303280.aspx#_Manually_Activate_a-Ken | http://ken.wagnerfamily.co.uk
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 4th, 2009 8:44pm

1. When I run slmgr.vbs -dli it says, among other things, VOLUME_KMS_B_channel. I think this indicates the KMS key was used when installing the OS. 2. Windows Firewall is turned off. 3. We did not ghost/clone computers when deploying them.4. Yes it probably has been more than 30 days since the KMS server has been deployed. If I read the information in your quote from Microsoft correctly, however, at least 25 systems must connect to the KMS host in any given 30 days. I still have more than 25 Vista and Win 2008 systems but the count shows 4.
September 4th, 2009 9:35pm

OK, have you tried manually activating a client to see if any error messages come up?-Ken | http://ken.wagnerfamily.co.uk
September 4th, 2009 9:38pm

Ok, some probably easy stupid questions about manually activating a client...Should I use a MAK key or a KMS key? Does it matter whether I use a graphical interface or a command interface?I can try changing the product on my own Vista computer which will require a new activation.
September 4th, 2009 9:47pm

Ok, some probably easy stupid questions about manually activating a client...Should I use a MAK key or a KMS key? Does it matter whether I use a graphical interface or a command interface?I can try changing the product on my own Vista computer which will require a new activation. You can follow the instructions here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc303280.aspx#_Manually_Activate_aTo activate a KMS client manually using the Slmgr.vbs script 1. Log on to the KMS client computer. 2. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. 3. At the command prompt, type the following, and then press Enter:cscript \windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /atoThe script reports activation success or failure, along with a result code.-Ken | http://ken.wagnerfamily.co.uk
September 4th, 2009 9:52pm

On my Vista PC I got the message that it was activated successfully. I'm fairly certain it used the internet to connect to Microsoft for the activation as the current count and total requests received on the KMS host have not changed.
September 4th, 2009 11:44pm

On my Vista PC I got the message that it was activated successfully. I'm fairly certain it used the internet to connect to Microsoft for the activation as the current count and total requests received on the KMS host have not changed. You did follow these instructions also, right?Convert a MAK Activation Client to a KMS ClientBy default, Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 are KMS clients. You can convert a KMS client to a MAK client and back again to a KMS client at anytime. Your computer must have access to a KMS host on your organization's network to complete this procedure. To convert a MAK activation client to a KMS client 1. Log on to the MAK client. 2. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click command prompt, and then click Run as administrator. 3. To install the KMS key, at the command prompt type the following, and then press Enter:cscript \windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk <KmsSetupKey>Be sure to include the dash between each set of five characters. 4. To activate the computer as a KMS client, type the following at the command prompt, and then press Enter: cscript \windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /atoThis script reports the success or failure of the procedure, along with a result code.-Ken | http://ken.wagnerfamily.co.uk
September 5th, 2009 9:52am

Hello,I would suggest downloading the Windows AIK.http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=696dd665-9f76-4177-a811-39c26d3b3b34This includes the VAMT tool (Volume Activation Management Tool)You can use this to query the machines on the your network to check their status.This is useful in determining whether the systems were installed with a MAK key, a KMS Host key, a KMS client key, or other types of keys( Retail, OEM,etc).It will also show which machines are activated and which ones are not activated.Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
September 7th, 2009 4:10am

Thanks Darrell. I ran the Volume Activation Tool. It turns out I have three KMS hosts. By the way each KMS host is showing a different count (zero, three and four). Also I have more than 25 computers on the list but most are showing OEM SLP, OEM Non-SLP, MAK and Retail licenses. I have five that are showing KMS Client licenses that are in a grace period. So really it looks likea big mess. Should I try to replace all the computer product keys with KMS client product keys so I can get past the count of 25? Should I fix things so that I only have a single KMS host?
September 9th, 2009 3:05am

Hello Josh,With the number of machines, one KMS should be enough. OEM-SLP are considered activated in the BIOS string and the OEM installed key match so you may want to leave those alone unless you need them to be KMS clients to get your counts up.Otherwise yes you should probably just install the KMS setup keys ( KMS Client keys) to convert the machines over to be KMS clients. This will help get your counts up to meet the requirements.Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
September 9th, 2009 5:17am

How can I tell whether the KMS keys listed on licensing. microsoft.comare KMS host keys or KMS client keys?
September 9th, 2009 8:13pm

Hello Josh,They are KMS host keys.The KMS client or setup keys are the same for everyone. They are installed during setup by default.They are posted in the KMS deployment guide if you want to check.http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc303280.aspxKMS client setup keys section ( table 2)Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
September 10th, 2009 1:27am

Any KMS key you are given via licensing is a KMS host key. A KMS client key is a generic Product ID that is used to install Windows which essentially tells it to contact a KMS for Activation. You can find these here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd979804.aspx Towards the bottom: Table6. KMS Client Setup Keys Operating system edition Product key Windows7 Windows7 Professional FJ82H-XT6CR-J8D7P-XQJJ2-GPDD4 Windows7 Professional N MRPKT-YTG23-K7D7T-X2JMM-QY7MG Windows7 Enterprise 33PXH-7Y6KF-2VJC9-XBBR8-HVTHH Windows7 Enterprise N YDRBP-3D83W-TY26F-D46B2-XCKRJ Windows Server2008R2 Windows Server2008R2 HPC Edition FKJQ8-TMCVP-FRMR7-4WR42-3JCD7 Windows Server2008R2 Datacenter 74YFP-3QFB3-KQT8W-PMXWJ-7M648 Windows Server2008R2 Enterprise 489J6-VHDMP-X63PK-3K798-CPX3Y Windows Server2008R2 for Itanium-Based Systems GT63C-RJFQ3-4GMB6-BRFB9-CB83V Windows Server2008R2 Standard YC6KT-GKW9T-YTKYR-T4X34-R7VHC Windows Web Server2008R2 6TPJF-RBVHG-WBW2R-86QPH-6RTM4 Converting Retail Editions to Volume Activation Retail editions of Windows7 Professional and Windows Server2008R2 can be converted to KMS clients, provided that the organization has acquired the appropriate volume licenses and conforms to the Product Use Rights. To convert Windows7 Professional and all editions of Windows Server2008R2 from retail to a KMS client , skip the Product Key page during operating system installation. When installation is complete, open an elevated Command Prompt window and type: Slmgr.vbs /ipk <SetupKey> where SetupKey is the KMS client setup key from Table6 that corresponds to the edition of Windows7 or Windows Server2008R2.
September 10th, 2009 1:29am

Do Vista machines using MAKs (Multiple Activation Keys) go towards the count? This is my suspicion.I justconverted a OEM key to a MAK, the count hasn't increased yet but I think it will after some delay. Removing some of the other KMS hosts did, however, seem to increase and/or consolidate things to bump my count up. Thanks for the KMS Client keys- Itried using one on my machine but it doesn'teven give me a grace period. It's immediately expired becauseI don't have25 Vista computers set up properly. So I can't get my count up with KMS Client keys.
September 10th, 2009 2:24am

Hello Josh,No KMA keys do not count, they activate like a retail key would with the Microsoft Activation Servers/You can rearm the clients to set the grace period to 30 days. ( slmgr /rearm) They can be rearmed 3 times totalThanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
September 10th, 2009 3:46am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics