KMS Confusion

I'm building up a 2012r2 server with Active directory for anything windows 8 and up, but for windows 7, office 2013, and server 2008 r2 I still need the regular KMS. That's all find and dandy, what i'm having issues with is how to find the correct license. Where I work we have different cost centers. So some PC's might be under cost center A which has its own windows 7 key, and cost center B has their own windows 7 key.

With KMS on server 2008 r2 you can just put in that generic KMS key because technically the machine wouldn't be on your domain at that time so the generic would work fine but I cant seem to load the generic key into the new KMS and Im afraid if I load cost center A's key in and it does its thing for our whole company that compliance could get out of whack.

Is there anyone else dealing with this and what do you do?

August 24th, 2015 5:35pm

Hi Brice,

As far as I know, it can't be achieved by one KMS host.

As a workaround, we could configure different KMS hosts for different cost centers.

Deploy KMS hosts, then manually specify a KMS host on client. We could use the command: /skms <Name[:Port] | : port> [Activation ID] where <Name> is either the KMS_FQDN, IPv4Address, or NetbiosName of the KMS host and port is TCP port on the KMS host.

Here is the guide for deploying KMS:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn502531.aspx

Best Regards,

Leo

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 25th, 2015 11:29pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics