KMS Confusion
Hi All, This is my first time using KMS licensing to license server 2008 and going forward (with the release of PVS 5.6 SP1) Windows 7 with XenDesktop and im wondering if you can help me answer a few questions Installing KMS Host: so to Setup a KMS host i will need to do the following 1. cscript C:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk <KmsKey> - And this key should be from the below link and not from the KMS key through our VLSC? 2. cscript C:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ato. then restart the KMS Host so this should now be the KMS host setup? KMS Keys for clients: For the keys for the KMS clients do you use keys from the below link and not from the KMS key through our VLSC? If you do use the keys from this website where are the windows 7 keys? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc303280.aspx#_KMS_Client_Setup Activating Clients: Is the correct way to activate clients like so slmgr.vbs -ipk KMSKey slmgr.vbs -skms 10.0.0.1 slmgr.vbs -ato If so whats the difference between this setup and teh KMS host setup otherthan the -skms (which sometimes isnt avabalie to me) Or use VAMT 2.0 to activite clients??? Product Key Type: When using VMAT 2.0 some clients report their key to me a GVLK and some report a CSVLK key. now from reading the help on VMAT is says that CSVLK are KMS Host keys. is this correct? Any help on this would be great. thanks
November 1st, 2010 4:42am

also here's the dli results from my KMS Host C:\Windows\System32>cscript slmgr.vbs /dli Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.7 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Name: Windows Server(R), ServerStandard edition Description: Windows Operating System - Windows Server(R), VOLUME_KMS_B channel Partial Product Key: 68KDB License Status: Licensed Key Management Service is enabled on this machine Current count: 10 Listening on Port: 1688 DNS publishing enabled KMS priority: Normal Key Management Service cumulative requests received from clients Total requests received: 18 Failed requests received: 39 Requests with License Status Unlicensed: 0 Requests with License Status Licensed: 11 Requests with License Status Initial grace period: 1 Requests with License Status License expired or Hardware out of tolerance: 0 Requests with License Status Non-genuine grace period: 0 Requests with License Status Notification: 6
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 1st, 2010 4:51am

Hello wgerrish, Question 1: To setup the KMS host, use the key from the VLSC site, not from the technet link Question 2: That is correct Question 3: KMS clients: Vl media defaults to installing the same keys as are on the Technet link, so you should not need to change the keys as long as you used VL media and did not previously change the keys. If VL media was used or the keys were changed, then use the keys on the TechNet link so the machines are back to use the setup keys and will be KMS clients Question 4: Activating KMS clients: If Dynamic DNS is setup, nothing needs to be done. During setup the default keys are installed with VL media so the machines are KMS clients by default. They will attempt to contact the KMS host on their own, so in most cases nothing should have to happen in the KMS client machine. They should just activate. The steps listed are correct if the key was changed and the clients are not finding the KMS host, but by default this should happen correctly without the steps. Question 5 VAMT reporting: KMS clients should be GVLK keys. CSVLK keys are KMS host keys so those machines are now acting like KMS host machines, if they should be KMS clients, the product keys need to be changed back to the KMS clients on the TechNet link. Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
November 1st, 2010 3:14pm

Hi Darrell, Thank you for coming back to me regarding my questions and hopefully you'll be able to answer a few more for me. 1. With Registering Servers KMS has to detect 5 different physical server before it starts to automatically check in other Servers in to KMS? is this because the Client Machine ID (CMID) has to be different? 2. With Registering desktops KMS has to detect 25 different desktops before it starts to automatically check in other Servers in to KMS? do these desktops have to be physical as well? or can they me VM's as currently in my environment there isn't 25 windows 7 desktops yet. thanks again. Will
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 3rd, 2010 5:23am

Hello Will, 1) Yes the CMIDs have to be different, both physical and virtual machines are counted. It is 5 Windows KMS clients before Windows Server KMS client start to activate, they do not all have to be Servers however, Windows 7 machines will be counted as well. 2) Physical and virtual machines are counted. The count is for Windows KMS clients, they can either Windows Server KMS or client KMS machines.Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
November 3rd, 2010 1:42pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics