KMS - what OS to use?
Hello, we're looking to set up a KMS Server, to handle activating Windows 7 and Office 2010. This seemed straightforward enough at first, but the more I read about it, the more confused I get. Our original plan was to use an existing server, currently running an OEM version of Windows Server Standard 2008 R2; just use slmgr.vbs to add the KMS host key for Windows 7, run KeyManagementServiceHost.exe to add the key for Office, and we're done. Then I noticed that a key for a client OS cannot be installed on a server - if I understand correctly, the KMS Host Key replaces the current license key, so it has to be valid for the server's OS. That leaves me two options: 1.) Set up a Windows 7 machine to act as a KMS server. 2.) Use a KMS key for 2008R2 Std. (or better) - it looks like we actually have an appropriate license already (listed as "Windows Server 2008R2 Std/Ent KMS B" in VLSC), but I would have to verify that it's not in use for something else already. Did I get that right? Which option would make more sense, generally speaking? Thanks, Andreas
July 18th, 2012 1:01pm

You should use the server you've designated for the role instead of adding a management workstation. Here is your step-by-step procedure on how to setup a KMS Server for Office 2010: 1) Install a Windows Server 2008 KMS Server From an elevated cmd prompt type the following: Slmgr.vbs /ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx (insert Windows Server 2008 KMS Key) <your KEY="" KMS="" MVLS="" from="">Activate the server: slmgr.vbs -ato Validate licenses are properly activated: slmgr /dlv 2) Install a Office 2010 licenses on the KMS Server Download Microsoft Office 2010 KMS Host License Pack http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=97b7b710-6831-4ce5-9ff5-fdc21fe8d965&displaylang=en Install Microsoft Office 2010 KMS Host License Pack Enter the required KMS key for Office 2010 Validate licenses are properly activated: slmgr /dlv all Validate that the DNS registration is working propertly using following command: nslookup -type=srv _vlmcs._tcp </your>
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 18th, 2012 3:21pm

Thank you It turns out that we actually have several unused Server Licenses, so I'll probably set up a new server handling only KMS. Andreas
July 19th, 2012 7:29am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics