KB980232 (MS10-020) problem: users can't save anymore from Office 2007 applications to servers
After installation of KB980232 none of our users in our company could save from Excel 2007 or Word 2007 to network drives on NT 4 servers anymore.When trying to save, the message "file was not saved" (in German in our case) appears.All clients are running Windows XP Professional with service pack 3 (some with sp 2)Saving to newer Windows Server versions still works, but saving to NT 4 servers doesn't anymore.After uninstalling KB980232 everything works fine again.Note:here:http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/fc1669c5-2e30-4207-8fe2-54a54f02679ais someone else with a similar problem.Kind regards
April 15th, 2010 5:09pm

Yes. We have EXACTLY the same problem. We have an old domain controller we use as a file server and today could not save excel files stored on that server. We can cut and paste to the shares on the server. We simply cannot save an excel spreadsheet that is opened from that file share. Uninstalling that patch resolves the issue. Users would receive "Document not Saved". Any computer that did not have automatic updates turned on was able to save to the file share.I'm sure Microsoft didn't test this combination since NT 4.0 is so old.Rick
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 16th, 2010 12:16am

Yes, sounds exactly like it is at our site.I contacted Microsoft support via phone after we found the reason for the problems (KB980232). They only told me "Sorry, Microsoft hot fixes are not being tested, they are released as fast as possible." He told me he could not do anything for me. I asked him to forward my report to the relevant places at Microsoft. He said he would do. Hmm...It cost us nearly one work day to find the solution...
April 16th, 2010 1:01am

We've had the same exact issue here! XP workstations running office 2007. While this patch (kb980232) is installed on the XP workstation you cannot save documents via word or excel to any NT 4 network shares. It's not a permission issue. I can create directories via expolorer/dos, remove them, create files with text editors, copy files delete, et cetera. The problem's only with office on network shares specifically (I can only speak for NT 4).An interesting thing I discovered, if you're on an XP machine (with this patch applied) and you browse your way to one of the NT shares, right click on a file or directory within the share and click on the "Security" tab you get the following error "Unable to display security information."!Once the patch is removed this tab displays user and group info as usual and word/excel have no problem saving to the NT shares.John
April 16th, 2010 1:25am

We have a similar problem at a client site - not related to saving in Word or Excel. We use NTbackup to backup files from a NT4 share to a backup file on a XP workstation - since installing KB980232 we are getting 'failure' reports in the backup (Could not access portions of file) but the backup still seems to work. We remove the update and the backup reports as per normal. The client doesnt trust the backup when its reported as failed so this update had to be removed.
April 16th, 2010 9:37am

Some more users with the same problem:http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vistawu/thread/a1b2ec69-504a-4d30-9eef-0c8950ef908a
April 16th, 2010 10:05am

We are having the same problem but with our Windows 2003 Servers and our NAS.
April 16th, 2010 3:29pm

I had the same problem yesterday. It took me 4 hours of testing to track it down and then another 3 hours to remove the patch from all the computers. I couldn't find any thing online at the time, but now I see a bunch of people have posted about it. At least I can feel lucky I wasn't working on it all night! Scott
April 16th, 2010 4:06pm

Same thing here - my post from another thread We were experiencing a similar issue only with one of our remote sites. They are running xp with office 07. MPLS connection back to our Virtualized w2k3 file server. They were not able to save ms office files (txt files saved fine) to network share after kb980232, kb981715 and kb979683 installed. They received this error "There has been a network or file permission error. The network connection may be lost." I uninstalled and they were able to save. we are running cisco waas - installing patch 4.1.5f to see if it corrects issue. File Save/Save As Issues After Installing Microsoft Patch (KB980232) http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v415/release/notes/ws415xrn.html#wp85418
April 16th, 2010 5:14pm

I have same problem. One PC running Office 2003 is working OK, it can save documents that are not in 2007 format.
April 17th, 2010 12:55pm

Is Microsoft going to fix this problem? If not, is the solution just to unistall KB980232? Will automatic upates continue to work without downloading the dreaded KB980232?
April 19th, 2010 8:06pm

Same problem, NT4 server, XP Pro (SP3), Office 07. Seems to be the winning trifecta. Error in Word was: There has been a network or file permission error. The network connection may be lost. Uninstalling KB980232 fixed it. I have declined it in my WSUS server so I won't see it again on the clients but is there a fix? From what it sounds like Microsoft isn't concerned. I'm hoping to leave NT4 soon but we're not there yet, and from what I'm seeing neither are a lot of others.
April 19th, 2010 11:05pm

Just an update on this. We started looking into a server related issue but now see it's a Windows update. Well just to let everyone know this problem is pretty sporadic on the server versions it occurs on. I've tried this on Windows 2003 Server r2 and it seems fine. Windows 2000 server, and Windows 2003 standard, and all versions of 2008 server editions seem to have the problem. We don't have any NT servers so I'll take the word of others out there. We will be patching a server tonight to see if this will resolve the issue. Update ---- We updated the servers with the same patch from Microsoft and things seem to work. So clients and servers need to have this installed. Update 2 -------- Nevermind. Tested it out again and nothing works....Time to remove the update. Thanks Microsoft.
April 19th, 2010 11:49pm

Same problem, NT4 server, XP Pro (SP3), Office 07. Seems to be the winning trifecta...Again. Wasted the last 6 hours on this one. THANKS to all for the solution!!!!!!!!!!! Got here by finaly searching for "Unable to display security information." Thanks "usrbinsed" Searching for "Excel 2007 document not saved" just had a billion run of the mill solutions (security, network congestion/speed, file coruption...) all of which I had already checked. THANKS AGAIN
April 20th, 2010 6:25am

Same here, Windows 7 with Office 2007 saving files on a Windows NT 4 file server. The only solution was to uninstall the fix and decline it on WSUS. Will Microsoft fix this?
April 20th, 2010 2:58pm

Same here Office 2007, NT4 Server virtualised on Hyper-V 2008 R2 and Vista SP2 Clients 32bit. After uninstalling KB980232 everything worked again. By the way the german message was "Datei wurde nicht gespeichert".MikeH
April 20th, 2010 3:52pm

Same problem here as described by all previous posts. It seems lots of man hours have been lost in identifying this. Do MS have a solution to this?
April 20th, 2010 4:26pm

We had problems with this update causing connection problems to mapped drives on Server 2003 SP2 and Server 2003 R2 SP2. Uninstalling the update fixed the problems.
April 20th, 2010 6:31pm

Same here. This issue only affects users that are saving to a Netapp filer with an older version of Ontap. Removing the update brings them back to functionality. Gabriel Matthews Systems Engineer - QServices Co.
April 21st, 2010 12:58am

Well it is not only with NetApp or Ontap. We don't use these and we have the same problems. When we want to retrieve the security of a folder, so we right-click and click the Security tab, it says "Unable to display security information". We also have encountered a major problem, since this update kb980232 was also installed on our terminal servers. This caused all user to have an error that their profile could not be loaded. First the error on the roaming profile and then the message that also the local profile could not be loaded. After removing the kb980232 on the terminal servers, the problem was gone. The problem on other server with kb980232, still causes the problem of the Security tab not displaying anything! It seems to be only on shares that are located on our NAS(SUN Storagetek) and not on Windows shares by the way.
April 21st, 2010 10:46am

Additional information: We are now having a lot of strange errors on a couple of machines where I uninstalled that update (KB980232) like this: Fault bucket 1819286903. Faulting application 0826000.exe, version 6.50.0.2316, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x7e029c0e. Faulting application eudora.exe, version 7.1.0.9, faulting module mshtml.dll, version 8.0.6001.18904, fault address 0x00360249. I have a feeling that removing that update has caused the system to become somewhat unstable. Scott
April 21st, 2010 5:26pm

Removing KB980232 fixed it for me ( Win 7 + Office 2010 )
April 22nd, 2010 2:15pm

We're having a similar issue as well, Any client (XP, Vista, Win 7) that tries to save from Excel to a server (all servers are 2k3 or newer) in a geographically different location (across the WAN) gets the error. If they save to a server local to their physical site (or to the site they're VPN'd into) then it works fine. It's great that uninstalling the update resolves the issue, but it really sucks that this is listed as a critical update.
April 23rd, 2010 3:21pm

Same Issue here ANY os running MS Office 2007-2010 cannot save to NT4 share or 2003 AD share. Open Office, wordpad, textpad all work fine. _Cheers_
April 23rd, 2010 6:35pm

Still nothing from the guys @ MS? I think a "We are looking into it" or a "We will get back to you" will go along way. Ohh well, maybe i ask for to much.
April 23rd, 2010 9:49pm

I currently have an open ticket with Microsoft on the matter (and i'm sure I'm not the only one.) One tech sent me what I paste below, and another has me sending them packet captures and diagnostic profiles, so hopefully they'll learn something from our troubleshooting. Problem Description: Windows clients are unable to access or set security permissions on files on share after installing MS10-20. The error is, “There has been a network or file permission error. Network connection may be lost." Shares reside on a non-Windows server (NAS, Samba server, etc. It has also been reproved with Windows NT 4.0 Server). Uninstalling updates resolves the issue. Locally everything works, with or without MS10-020. In current cases, this seems to affect MS excel and Word files only, when saving directly to a network share. They are able to save the files in notepad and pdf files without a problem, it appears that only Office files are affected. Microsoft is aware of the problem and is looking into the issue. Right now, we do not have a solution. We do not recommend removing MS10-20 unless it is absolutely necessary. We will be in touch as soon as we have more information. As a workaround, you can save the file locally, and then copy it to the file share. Gabriel Matthews Systems Engineer - QServices Co.
April 23rd, 2010 10:07pm

I also have a support ticket open. They sent me the same message.
April 23rd, 2010 10:43pm

It appears that this is one of four known symtpons of the problems with MS10-020 (KB980232). Screenshots of the other three types are at: http://sharpesecurity.blogspot.com/2010/04/problems-with-microsoft-april-2010.html. In each case, it appears that removing MS10-020 fixes the problem.
April 25th, 2010 9:42pm

if you are running cisco waas then make sure you have installed - 4.1.5f File Save/Save As Issues After Installing Microsoft Patch (KB980232) http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v415/release/notes/ws415xrn.html#wp85418
April 26th, 2010 9:43pm

I also opened a support ticket: After installing KB980232 MS10-020 security information from XP Machines to an NT4 Domain is not displayed anymore. - Uninstalling the Patch fixes the issue - Un-registering and re-registering MRXSMB.sys also solves the issue No solution so far.
April 27th, 2010 10:49am

Same here. The same issue and Microsoft telling me fixes are produced and they do not do a whole lot of testing. So many hours wasted thinking we had a server problem when it is this update 100% of the time. No solutions yet. I am surprised.
May 4th, 2010 7:23pm

my ticket is closed. there will be a KB983458 next month to solve my problem. hope that also your problems will be solved by this hotfix then.
May 7th, 2010 7:25pm

I came here from the NTBackup thread at http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vistawu/thread/fc1669c5-2e30-4207-8fe2-54a54f02679a My problem was in backing up critical files from an old NT3.5 workstation (it runs proprietary CNC software, so there's no way we can update it). Since I was looking at a weekly backup of only about 120MB, I decided to work around KB980232 instead of pulling it. I updated my backup job to first XCOPY the NT3.5 files to an XP workstation. Problem mostly solved. However, I discovered that XCOPY could not use the /O or /X parameters to retrieve owner, ACL, or audit settings for files. When I tried those parameters, I got the messages: File creation error - The specified server cannot perform the requested operation. Unable to create directory - C:\Backup\material 0 File(s) copied This seems to fit in with the "Unable to display security information" problems that others have reported here (and that I can also reproduce). Hope this narrows it down for someone. Jay
May 7th, 2010 11:30pm

With this patch installed, IIS does not serve static files from a virtual directory that is mapped to a UNC network share on Windows XP (IIS5). IIS logfile contains error 500 with subcode 58: "The specified server cannot perform the requested operation."
May 10th, 2010 2:19pm

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/ts/fn/633/fn63320.html I think this should be added to the "Known Issues" section of the Microsoft security bulletin... http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS10-020.mspx Update: Microsoft added it to the "Known Issues" section on May 26. Thanks.
May 14th, 2010 10:38pm

Thanks for the effort. I "quickly " found out the cause - after 2 days of research, then some backup testing. This set my mind at rest. Interesting thar it will take 7 weeks to correct this little glitch. Torers
May 16th, 2010 8:35pm

This problem with KB980232 also affects Visual SourceSafe 2005 (version 8.0.50727.1551). Our SourceSafe database is still hosted on an NT4 system, and yes eventually it'll get rolled onto a newer system but for now we're stuck with NT4 hosting our big SourceSafe database. With KB980232 installed, some SourceSafe operations generate an error wrt writing the users ss.ini file. When KB980232 is uninstalled, SourceSafe operates flawlessly. This problem is completely reproducable. For now, all our developers systems must have KB980232 removed to continue to use our version control system. We don't see any current workaround other than to remove the update.
May 22nd, 2010 11:17pm

when i installed this update i can't joined my epo server (web interfaces) but i have uninstall this kb and my server don't restart he blocked in load Win2000 Have you got solution please??? thanks
June 10th, 2010 1:05pm

Hi All, The KB983458 is now available to fix the problem caused by update from KB980232. You can obtain the hotfix from the following link. You cannot save documents to a folder or change the permission settings of folders on a SMB 1.0-based remote server from a Windows-based computer that has security update 980232 (MS10-020) installed http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983458 Regards, Karen Ji This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
June 14th, 2010 5:03am

In regards to the hotfix KB983458, does this need to be applied to both the workstation and the server? I am having the same problem with Windows XP SP3 32bit, and Widnows Server 2003 R2 32bit. The problem only seems to impact the Office 2007 file formats such as .docx, .xlsx, .pptx, etc... I have applied the hotfix to a test workstation, and this does not seem effective at all.
October 26th, 2010 5:35pm

Hello, we are already Nov 24, 2010, "Santa" is comming soon and we still have the same problem. It should have been fixed by Updates isn't it? Someone from Microsoft please take responsibility
November 24th, 2010 1:08am

Aha!!! When you get a chance, take a look at the properties of your installation files for the SaveAsPDF add-in. More specifically look at the Certificates ... key in on the validation period. You'll notice that you'll either have files that have valid certificates through 2007 or 2008. Hmmmm, what year are we in? Now, do you have any patches or additional programs that check for running programs to verify if they have valid certificates? More than likely, if your in this forum, you do. Question is, how to you "trick" that program to ignore MS Office 2007 SaveAsPDF's certificates just to allow you to be able to save a file as a PDF or XPS. Hmmmm... Microsoft, can you please get an updated certificate for the SaveAsPDF and publish the updated version of this add-on with that new certificate?
January 25th, 2012 5:18pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics