KB928365 will not install. Please help!
Trying to install the update KB928365 on Windows Server 2003 R2. - .NET framework is in Add/Remove Programs multiple times (2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2, 3.5 SP1, .NET framework 4 Client Profile and .NET 4 Extended) When trying to install the 928365 patch, I get the Windows Installer message (The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct patch.) - I see in the forums that it's suggested running the dotnetfix.exe procedure. When I do that I get an error that says it cannot be installed and refers me to: support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q312/5/00.asp - That article talks about removing .NET framework 2.0 SP1 and trying again. I don't have 2.0 SP1 installed and if attempting to remove 2.0 SP2, I get yet another error: Micorosft .NET framework 2.0 SP2 cannot be uninstalled because it will affect other applications that are installed. For more information, see http://go.microsoft/com/fwlink/?LinkId=91126... this is a dead link I really need to get KB928365 resolved ASAP. Any help would be appreciated Thanks, Todd
September 20th, 2010 1:35pm

Hi, I suggest removing and reinstall .NET Framework components. Step 1.Completely remove .NET Framework ==================== 1. Please download dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip from the following site and extract it. http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/attachment/8904493.ashx 2. Double click cleanup_tool.exe to run the tool. 3. Please follow the instruction and click Cleanup now to remove .NET Framework - All versions. Then, please continue to the next steps. Step 2.Remove related files in Safe Mode ==================== 1. Restart the computer and keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears. 2. Choose Safe Mode, and press Enter. 3. Click "Start" -> "Run", type "%windir%" (without quotation marks) and press "OK". 4. Locate "assembly" folder and right click on it and choose Rename to rename it to assemblyold. 5. Click "Start" -> "Run", type "%temp%" (without quotation marks) and press "OK". 6. Delete all the files in the open folder. 7. Click "Start" -> "Run", type "%windir%\Microsoft.NET" (without quotation marks) and press "OK". 8. Right click on the folder Framework and choose Rename to rename it to Frameworkold. 9. Restart the system to Normal Mode. After restarting, please try to install .Net Framework 3.5 again. Step 3.Manually downloading and installing Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 =========================== 1. Click the following link: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/0/3/703455ee-a747-4cc8-bd3e-98a615c3aedb/dotNetFx35setup.exe Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1. http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/e/20e90413-712f-438c-988e-fdaa79a8ac3d/dotnetfx35.exe 2. When the file download window appears, please click "Save", and follow the directions to save it on the Desktop. After downloading the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 and SP1 setup file on your Desktop, double-click to manually install them. Tim Quan TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 21st, 2010 2:08am

Hi, How are things going? I have not heard back from you in a few days and wanted to check on the status of the issue. Please let me know how things turned out. Tim Quan TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 23rd, 2010 9:40pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics