Just encountered second workstation that can't access Server 2012R2 via UNC but IP and FQDN works

We use roaming profiles with folder redirection to a Windows Server 2012, and last week I encountered a workstation that couldn't load profiles on the 2012R2 server nor access the shared files. The problem, it turns out, is that this workstation couldn't access the UNC path for the server hosting the profiles and folders. Interestingly, we have one more Server 2012R2 that the UNC paths worked fine for on this host, plus two additional 2008R2 servers that the UNC paths worked for. For the 2012 Server that the UNC paths don't work for, the IPs work fine, e.g. \\<IP>, and the FQDNs also works, e.g. \\server.domain.loc. I first attempted to reset the adapter using the netsh commands, then I removed the adapter, then I configured the lmhosts file, threw in a few reboots here an there, disabled antivirus, and disabled the firewall, but nothing worked. I ended up rebuilding the workstation, so it works now. Today, another workstation is exhibiting the same problem to the same server only. I'm at a loss of anything else to try. Does anyone have an idea of what I could attempt?

Thanks

September 2nd, 2015 4:54pm

Does it work with only the server name ?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 2nd, 2015 9:18pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics