Joining domain results in services not starting properly
I am having troubles trying to set up a new server (in order to restore my exchange server). The server is a virtual server running Server 2008 (SP2) and is hosted on a server 2008 R2 machine (using hyper-v). Whenever I try and join the server to the domain it will restart and seem fine. If I then reboot the server again (either a manual reboot or one forced by an application/update install) then the services do not start properly. The two that fail first are DHCP Client and TCP/IP NetBIOS helper service. They both get stuck on "Starting". If I then try and go to event viewer I find the Windows Event Log service hasn't started and when I try and start it I get a "Error 1053". If I set DHCP client to manual and TCP/IP NetBIOS helper to manual and reboot the machine, the DHCP client service will usually start properly. If I then try and start the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service it will either start fine or result in a "error 1053". Everything runs fine until I join the machine to the domain. IBecause the dead server was an exchange server, I am trying to set up the new server following the instructions here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876880.aspx I am trying to set the new server up with the same name (after resetting the computer object in Active Directory Users and Computers). It also currently has the same IP address as the old server. (The old server was running but disconnected from the network at the time) Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this please? Best regards Katrina
September 16th, 2011 10:36am

can you please remove the AV and check if the issue presists. http://www.virmansec.com/blogs/skhairuddin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 16th, 2011 11:25am

can you please remove the AV and check if the issue presists. http://www.virmansec.com/blogs/skhairuddin Hi Syed, At this point I am not running any Anti-Virus software on the server.
September 16th, 2011 11:58am

Did you check this resolution. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839174 Thanks
September 16th, 2011 12:12pm

Hello, is the problem server domain controller? Do you work with snapshots on the domain DCs? If you reinstall the machine and it is member server then remove the older one before from AD UC. If that machine is domain controller and will be reinstalled with the same name you MUST run metadata cleanup before adding the machine with the same name.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
September 17th, 2011 6:55pm

Hi, I suggest you reset TCP/IP first. Please refer to the following article: How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357 After that, reboot the computer to check if the problem continues. Hope it helps. Regards, Bruce
September 19th, 2011 8:23am

This was a really odd one...! As it turns out, my administrator user was causing the problem. I joined the server to the domain using the administrator account and the server would be fine. If I then rebooted the server again (after the forced reboot) then I would get the problem with services not starting. This seemed to be what caused the initial problem with my exchange server and was affecting any new server running server 2008 SP2. (I was testing on virtual machines so was able to build, snapshot, find the problem by joining the domain, roll back to the snapshot and try again). Several services would fail to start and two (as mentioned in my original post) would get stuck on "starting". I couldn't view event log as this service and those it was dependent on would fail to start as well. After a day and a half of testing, rolling back and testing some more I eventually found that if I joined the domain using the built in administrator account, the server would fail on the next reboot. Fortunately, I have a different administrator account (each technician has their own admin account) which I was able to test. If I built the server and joined it to the domain using MY admin account and rebooted the server, it was fine. My admin account is in a different OU to the administrator account so I moved the administrator account to the same OU as my admin account, rolled back the server and tried again... and it worked. Therefore all I can think is that there is something in the default domain policy that is affecting the administrator account. (I have yet to find out exactly what though). When moved to the OU where my admin account is (where more GPOs are applied) the administrator account is fine and works as expected... which is odd because the default domain policy will still be applied... However, the issue seems to be resolved now and I will do further testing to try and find out the exact cause.
September 19th, 2011 11:05am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics