Joining a WIN2K8 DHCP server to a WIN2K3 AD enviroment
I'm in the process of configuring and deploying WIN2K8 Deployment Services in our WIN2K3 AD environment. Ive put the WDS server in his own VLAN and I need to configure the WIN2K8 DHCP service to facilitate the PXE boot on the client side. Ive researched on the net and I cant seem to find any definitive information regarding how the WIN2K8 DHCP service will interact with our existing WIN2K3 DHCP server and our WIN2K3 AD environment. Basically I need to know if the WIN2K8 DHCP service needs to make any schema changes. I also need know if there could be any adverse side effects/down falls to running WIN2K3 & WIN2K8 DHCP services in a WIN2K3 AD environment. Also, would authorizing a WIN2K8 DHCP server on an existing WIN2K3 DHCP server cause any issues? Any information that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you require further information regarding the issue. Thanks, cMACKn
October 31st, 2009 1:19am

Hi cMACKn, According to your description, I understand that you want to migrate your current Windows 2003 DHCP server to Windows 2008 DHCP server. As far as I know, there is no schema changes in Windows 2008 DHCP service. For your reference, here is a KB which describes how to move a DHCP database from a computer that is running Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2008. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/962355/ Best Regards, Wilson JiaThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 2nd, 2009 1:24pm

Actually, I do notwant to migrate to 2008 DHCP from 2003 DHCP. I want to keep the current 2003 DHCPserver in place. I just need to add a new 2008 DHCP server on the network and authorizeitonour exsisting 2003 DHCP server. I just wanted to know if there were any known issues with running 2008 DHCP inconjunction with2003 DHCP in a 2003 A/D enviroment.Basically I have a Win 2008 WDS server sitting in VLAN and I need to setup DHCP on the Win 2008 WDS server to facilitate imaging/PXE Boot. When I setup the 2008 DHCP service it requires me to authorize the newly created Win 2008 DHCP server on our current 2003 DHCP server. I just wanted to make sure there wouldnt be any adverse side effects when authorizing a Win2008 DHCP server on a 2003 DHCP server.I hope that makes sense. Please let me know if you require further information and thanks for the rsponse :)Reagrds,cMACKn
November 2nd, 2009 10:26pm

Yes, you can run a Windows 2008 DHCP server along side a 2003 DHCP server. To correct your statement, you will need to authorize the 2008 DHCP server in your domain, not on your current 2003 DHCP server. Before DHCP servers' scopes can be activated to issue leases, you must authorize the server in Active Directory.No schema modifications are required to run a 2008 DHCP server in a 2003 Active Directory environment as long as you dont expect to make the 2008 DHCP server a DC.Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 2nd, 2009 10:58pm

Hi cMACKn, Thank you for your clarification. If the two DHCP servers are in the same subnet, you need to ensure to configure split scopes. You can refer to: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd296651(WS.10).aspx Regards, Wilson JiaThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
November 3rd, 2009 4:58am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics