Join server 2008 R2 as another domain controller to SBS 2008 Domain controller
Hello, when I am trying to add another domain controller using 2008 R2 it is telling me; To install this domain controller into this Active directory forest, you ust first prepare the forest using adprep /forestprep Is it possible to add a domain controller to SBS 2008 by using server 2008R2 and can you please help me ... THank you
June 12th, 2010 7:05pm

Hello, to add the Windows server 2008 R2 as DC to the domain insert the installation disk into the SBS machine and open an elevated command prompt(RUNAS), then browse to E:\support\adprep where E: is your DVD drive. In this folder run the "adprep32 /forestprep" command without the quotes, if it run successful go on with adprep /domainprep and after this adprep /rodcprep. When all the commands are run swuccesful you can add the new machine to the domain and promote it to domain controller, i suggest to make it also DNS server and Global catalog server during promotion. There is also the SBS forum, because lot's of steps are different from the "normal" OS versions: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/smallbusinessserver/threads There are the SBS experts. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 13th, 2010 1:23am

Thank you so much it worked straight away, now on the 2008 R2 machine can I use Exchange 2010 and use it instead of the exchange included in the SBS or maybe they can work both of them at the same time by replicating data between them ? Or there should only be one Exchange server in a domain ?
June 13th, 2010 9:34am

Hello, please use the SBS forum, because lot's of steps are different from the "normal" OS versions, also with Exchagne changing to another server: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/smallbusinessserver/threads There are the SBS experts.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 13th, 2010 2:12pm

thank you
June 13th, 2010 4:33pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics