JEE MP: WebSphere Network Deployment Support?

I currently have the JEE MP discovering Websphere Application Network Deployment 8.5.5 Servers, but they all appear as Red (or that the application servers are down) which is not the case. Any magic to get the monitor reporting on status correctly?

Thanks in advance

June 17th, 2014 9:11pm

Hi,

Did you create the management pack with template yourself or downloaded somewhere?

If it appears as red, it should means that something is wrong with the server, would you please check alerts or warnings for the server.

And we can find out the monitor or rule that fire those alerts or warnings and check whether some configuration is not correct.

Regards,

Yan Li

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 19th, 2014 7:37am

I think I see the problem, but don't know how to resolve it.... I'm sure it would be a simple modification or override if Network Deployment is discovered on the machine.

There is a WebsphereDiscovery.vbs script failure trying to locate the server instances installed within a Network Deployment installation.

It looks for server instances in:

DriveLetter:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\profiles\AppSrv\config\cells\ServerNameCell01\nodes\ServerNameCellManager01\servers

But should look for the server instances under the NodeAgent that is running the servers:

DriveLetter:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\profiles\AppSrv\config\cells\ServerNameCell01\nodes\ServerNameNode01\servers

Any hints?

Thanks

June 19th, 2014 4:49pm

Hello

We are  investigating this issue

Anurag Gupta,
Open Source Technology Center

June 21st, 2014 1:04am

Another thing I noticed is that Linux Machines with IBM WebSphere Network Deployment edition are being monitored successfully with the Management Pack.
June 24th, 2014 7:43pm

Hi Anurag, Are the talented folks within Microsoft gaining any traction on this request?
June 27th, 2014 1:31pm

Hi Deem13,

We have been able to recreate the environment and are currently investigating possible workarounds.

If you have more information please contact me at my Microsoft email address, which is username 'anugup' at the usual Microsoft.com domain.

Anurag Gupta

June 28th, 2014 1:37am

Hi Deem13,

We have identified the problem for the automatic discovery of the WebSphere v8.5.5 Network Installation WebSphere Application Servers, and have added it to our list of changes due in the fall.

Another available option is manually discovering WebSphere Application Servers running the BeanSpy Applet.

You can follow Cristophers blog for manually discovered application servers here http://blogs.technet.com/b/random_happy_dev_thoughts/archive/2013/09/23/3499171.aspx

One addition needed for WebSphere v8 is within JEEAppServerLibrary.ps1 file mentioned in Christophers blog.

Change line 269 and add the highlighted line afterwards to allow WebSphere v8 instances

elseif ($serverType.CompareTo("WebSphere") -eq 0)

{

if (($serverVersion -eq "6") -or

($serverVersion -eq "7") -or

($serverVersion -eq "8"))

{

$isSupported = $true

}

The Application Server will first appear in Universal configured Application Server, and then after a {few minutes few hours} the Application server will appear under Deep monitored profiles under the WebSphere Application Server folder in Operations Manager monitoring pane.

All the same features that a deep monitored profile offers (performance metrics, application health) will be available.

This has been verified using a WebSphere v8.5.5 Network Installation Application Server.

If there are any questions please contact me at my Microsoft email address, which is username anugup at the usual Microsoft.com domain.

Anurag Gupta

June 30th, 2014 5:46pm

Hi Anurag, I made the suggested changes powershell script and that appears to work perfectly. I'm am however waiting on the applications to appear. I'll wait throughout the day and let you know where it ends up. Thanks for you time and effort,
June 30th, 2014 7:13pm

The MP for Websphere is very poor.. No logs details and we canot find out why it is not able to find the Profile... No error but not able to find the Websphere Profiles... I don't why they are making this kind of products for third party and killing us to use... Poor development of JEE MP.. and Poor documents.. Pls refer IBM info center for ref to provide documents for your products.
  • Proposed as answer by GLICUS 11 hours 10 minutes ago
March 9th, 2015 4:09pm

Hi GLICUS,

What version of IBM WebSphere are you using? Is WebSphere running on Windows/Linux/AIX? What version of the management pack do you have installed?

Windows will have logs populating in the Windows host server event log

Linux/AIX will have logs in /var/opt/microsoft/scx/log/scx.log

March 9th, 2015 4:15pm

The MP for Websphere is very poor.. No logs details and we canot find out why it is not able to find the Profile... No error but not able to find the Websphere Profiles... I don't why they are making this kind of products for third party and killing us to use... Poor development of JEE MP.. and Poor documents.. Pls refer IBM info center for ref to provide documents for your products.
  • Proposed as answer by GLICUS Monday, March 09, 2015 8:07 PM
March 9th, 2015 8:07pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics