JEE - Unable to discover Websphere 8, automatically or manually

I am setting up a proof of concept for SCOM 2012 R2, and am attempting to monitor an instance of Websphere 8 running on AIX 6.1.  I am using the latest version of the JEE management pack (7.3.2135.0), which according the the MP guide, supports Websphere 8.

I confirmed with the Websphere administrator/developer the url/port number of the application, that HTTPS is not required (but is available), and that authentication is not required.

After waiting several days beyond deploying the agent to the AIX server, the Websphere 8 application server never was discovered for basic monitoring. 

I attempted the manual deployment method referenced in the README for the JEE MP.  I had the Websphere admin deploy the BeanSpy ear, and I was able to successfully test using the web browser with the expected results returned in XML format.  Then I searched and found the powershell scripts and copied them to a location, and added the URL to a text file. 

When I ran the command
type .\list.txt | .\NewJEEAppServer.ps1 -ManagementServer scom.domain.com,

I got the error:
Unable to determine the application server type and version : http://websphere.domain.com:9080

I didn't get the "WebClient call failed to server..." error, so I know the script was able to connect to the server.  When I specified the parameters -JEEAppServerType WebSphere -JEEAppServerVersion 8, I got the same error.  That is when I noticed the -help file for the script mentions support for versions 6 and 7, but not 8.  I passed version 7, and got a successful result in the script.

Fast forward a while later, I see the Websphere server under "Deep Monitored Profiles" (with the green check beside it), but I do not see any applications.  I then found an error in the Operations Manager event channel:

--------------------
Data item returned no information for parameter '$Data/Info/JEEServer/Properties/AppServerName$'
 This usually indicates that the query is incorrect.

One or more workflows were affected by this.

Workflow name: Microsoft.JEE.WebSphere.Monitored.Profile.Discovery
Instance name: websphere.domain.com:9080:universal
Instance ID: {BCD23F3A-0F10-072A-366F-79A520F953CD}
Management group: Test_MG
--------------------

I'm beginning to wonder whether WebSphere 8 monitoring even works at all, despite being listed as supported in the MP guide.  I have not found any references to other people setting monitoring for WebSphere 8 in SCOM.

Has anyone gotten this to work?  Something I might be missing?

Thanks in advance

February 21st, 2014 5:23pm

Playing around with this some more...

Doing an mbeans query through the browser:
http://websphere01.domain.com:9080/BeanSpy/MBeans?JMXQuery=WebSphere:j2eeType=J2EEServer,*

returns an MBean with the server, with properties for deployedObjects, javaVMs, resrouces, etc, etc fully populated. 

Also:
http://websphere01.domain.com:9080/BeanSpy/MBeans?JMXQuery=WebSphere:j2eeType=J2EEApplication,*

returns MBeans corresponding to all applications that are installed.

When I run:
websphere01.domain.com:9080/BeanSpy/Stats/Info

I get properties for JVMMemory, OperatingSystem, JavaVirtualMachine, and JEEServer.

So (in my uneducated opinion) it looks like BeanSpy is working OK, since the relevant objects can be directly queried. 

HOWEVER, after I dug into the powershell scripts for manual discovery, I noticed that it is querying the same /BeanSpy/Stats/Info url for the JEEServer property AppServerName.  Now, in the browser session I mentioned above, that value was returned in the XML.  But in the Powershell, which is using the net.WebClient class to query the URL, no JEEServer properties are returned.  All of the other properties are returned, but nothing for JEEServer.  I confirmed this by manually loading the relevant functions from JeeAppServerLibrary.ps1 and running the command from the function QueryAppServer that gets the result returned from the /BeanSpy/Stats/Info url.

So I'm not sure what I can do about it, but that is why manual discovery is not working properly (I am getting JVM and memory stats but not application info).  Still doesn't explain why automatic discovery is not working, though.

• Edited by jdptechnc Wednesday, February 26, 2014 10:45 PM
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 26th, 2014 10:26pm

Actually, when I query http://websphere01.domain.com:9080/BeanSpy/Stats/Info via either Powershell OR Internet Explorer, I get no JEEServer properties returned in the resulting XML.

<JEEServer>
    <Properties/>
</JEEServer>

BUT when I use Firefox (as I did the first time I tried it), I DO get JEEServer properties.

<JEEServer>
    <Properties>
        <AppServerName type="class java.lang.String">ND</AppServerName>
        <AppServerVersion type="class java.lang.String">8.0.0.5</AppServerVersion>
    </Properties>
</JEEServer>

Same URL, different (correct) result with Firefox vs the native Microsoft clients.

Hopefully, this additional information is helpful.

• Edited by jdptechnc Wednesday, February 26, 2014 10:47 PM
February 26th, 2014 10:43pm

Hi Kris,

I'm having the same problem as jdptechnc describes on a couple of our Windows server 2008R2 servers.

<JEEServer>
    <Properties/>
< /JEEServer>

Using Chrome makes no difference and I didn't try Firefox.

We have a quite a few Jboss instances and some but not all of them have this particular problem. Being unable to find any reason why these values are empty/missing in the beanspy info. We tried comparing the jboss file folders with no result. Without anything to go on where this information should be coming from on a Windows server it's looking for a needle in a haystack.

Some more insight into what properties/parameteres/values are (tried) to be read would be a start.

September 23rd, 2014 1:50pm

A really late reply:

The Jboss servers in question are 5AS.

I'll try to change the logging level. I haven't changed logging levels on any of the servers prior or during installation of the beanspy. So I assume this can't be it, still I'll give it a try tomorrow and compare this with the other Jboss configurations. I'll try to report back tomorrow with my findings.

By the way: Can a Jboss 3 instance installed on the same server with 2 Jboss 5AS installations cause trouble for discovery and or monitoring scripts running on that server?

March 5th, 2015 7:29pm

Hi PantoR,

What version of WebLogic is currently running / What version of the UNIX/Linux management packs are you using? What version of the JEE Management packs are you using?

April 6th, 2015 12:24am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics