Issues importing WSUS data on disconnected machine

I'm attempting to copy my WSUS data from a machine that has internet access to a machine that isn't connected to the internet and the transfers are not 100% accurate.

On the internet, I have a Windows 2012 R2 server with the WSUS feature activated. I synchronize in the evening so that all updates are downloaded by morning. I have a powershell script that runs in the morning to run some WSUS cleanups and export the metadata.  I run WSUS RESET each weekend to ensure that everything is up to date.

I then synchronize the metadata export and the WSUS content to an external drive.  I use robocopy.exe to synchronize because there is > 340GB of WSUS data.

I then bring the external drive to my non-internet machine and basically reverse the process: copy the WSUS Content data; copy the metadata; import the metadata; use powershell scripts to run WSUS cleanups and run WSUS Reset.

The number of patches on my internet machine is ~60,000 and the number of files to download is 0 while on my unconnected machine the number of patches is ~65,000 and the number of files to download is ~43,000.  After about 3 hours, the numbers haven't changed.

Both machines use Windows 2012 R2, have the same version of WSUS (6.3.9600.16384) and have the patch for supporting more than 2GB of data (i.e. xml.gz format).

The counts should be the same on both machines or at least a lot closer. Any ideas/suggestions?

August 25th, 2015 8:28pm

Hi,

Have you tried to run the server cleanup wizard on the disconnected WSUS server? If no, please try it.

When I run the server cleanup wizard on my WSUS server, the number of the update will decrease.

Best Regards.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 27th, 2015 1:36am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics