Issue with search refiner results and search textbox results. SharePoint 2013

HI,

I have configured search in SharePoint 2013, Also configured many manage property as well as use there properties in refinement panel of search page.

When I am trying to search result using refiner, its show me more results on the other hand search box keyword with same text show less results.

Let me know any idea.

Thanks

Shrikant

May 30th, 2013 1:09pm

Hi Shrikant,

It sounds like your refiner is pulling results from a different Result Source than the default. Is it possible you have a Result Type or Query Rule setup to do this?

• Proposed as answer by Basant Pandey Wednesday, February 11, 2015 5:28 PM
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 31st, 2013 5:57pm

Hi,

The refiners show the exact count while the search result listing show an estimated count at the end. This is expected behavior. If you include a count for the "last modified date" or "size" property, you could use script to replace the value in the search result, as all items have a date and size.

Thanks,
Mikael Svenson

June 3rd, 2013 9:02pm

Try to understand the url of search page when you apply refiners :

http://sharepoint.asia/refiners-in-sharepoint-2013-search/

November 17th, 2013 6:51pm

Well, I have seen this behavior testing a search within SharePoint 2013.  The refiners in the left-hand column report exactly 700 results.  The estimated number of results at the bottom center of the first results page = 'About 648'.   The delta between the two results counts is 7%.  I thought this was due to duplicates of documents not being counted in the smaller total while they are in the greater (refiner) total.  However, another test revealed that an even larger variance existed between the refiner total counts and the 'About' results when I knew for a fact there were no duplicates.  How can my client's business partners be confident they have retrieved all results when a statistically significant variance exists between the two resul
February 11th, 2015 12:25am

Hi,

See my previous answer. The count shown below the results will always be an estimate. Not sure why it's not using values from size/write refiners which have values for all items.

The other solution is to turn off refiner counts... ask the question how much value it gives.. or the other way... are users really confused by this and do they care?

Or turn off the count below the items to avoid confusion.

And depending on how much data you are searching and the results you are getting back.. refiners can also be non-exact.

February 11th, 2015 5:20pm

Hi Shrikant,

It might be the case of the duplicate records, in this senerio the refiner count showing the duplicate records but the search result showing the actual records without duplicate. This is because the by default search result web part trimduplicate is  true for that you would required to set its value to false. For more details you can follow this blog post.

http://sharepointfordeveloper.blogspot.in/2015/02/sharepoint-2013-enable-duplicate-result.html

Let me know if you have any concern any issue related to this.

Regards,

Basant Pandey

http://sharepointfordeveloper.blogspot.com

February 11th, 2015 7:39pm

Thanks Mikeal.  We decided to publish the site without suppressing either the Refiner (left column) or the Total (bottom center) counts.   Counter-intuitive test results always give me pause.  But, your confirmation of my client's Developers' explanation is quite useful.  Appreciate it.  (Don't be surprised if sometime this summer - East Coast US - I'm back here commenting on SP 2013 behavior again.)
February 13th, 2015 5:47am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics