Issue with paging in a search result page with query string filter

Hi,

I'm trying to create a simple people directory using sharepoint search (SharePoint 2013 Server SP1), so I've created a search result page and added a search result web part (mysite is up and running and crawling is ok). 

Query builder is configured as following:

- Select a query: Local people resul

- Query text: contentclass:spspeople

Search result shows more than 1000 items (people) and if I try to navigate to page 2, 3, 4, 5, ... everything works fine.

Now, I have to filter my result based on a property, so I set query text as following: contentclass:spspeople property={QueryString.PARAM}.

Search result preview shows hundreds of items, according to the parameter value.

I call my page as following: http://site/results.aspx?PARAM=abcd and everything appears to work fine: I can navigate to page 2, but when I go to page 3 (or go back to page 1) I get a "Nothing here matches your search" and page url is http://site/results.aspx?PARAM=abcd#k=#s=21

What's wrong with my page?

Thank you

Fabio

October 8th, 2014 5:02am

Hi Fabio,

Please check whether you installed any CU for your SharePoint 2013.

In the SharePoint 2013 CU June 2013, it fixes the below:

When you pass query parameters to query rules from Search Web Part on a SharePoint Server 2013 site, the search results are not updated.

More information about the CU, please refer to the link:

http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/2817414

In addition, please go to the log file to check more information about this issue.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Forum Support
Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 9th, 2014 6:14am

Hi Wendy,

thank you for your reply. I'll check if any CU post June 2013 has been installed (this farm is not managed by me).

Thank you.

Fabio

October 9th, 2014 7:27am

Hi Fabio,

Do you have any update for this issue?

Best Regards,

Wendy

Forum Support
Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

October 20th, 2014 1:43am

Hi Wendy,

July 2014 CU has been installed but the issue is still not solved.

I tried to rebuild the query and also the whole page, but the result didn't changed.

Logs don't report any message about this.

Fabio

October 20th, 2014 9:23pm

Hello Fabio,

Thank you for your question.

We are currently looking into this issue and will give you an update as soon as possible.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Forum Support
Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback

for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

October 24th, 2014 2:08am

Thank you Wendy, I'll be waiting for more detail.

If you need more information don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Fabio

October 24th, 2014 8:00am

Hi Fabio,

I would like to confirm that if the search result have no issue, but after we navigate to another page and back to the search resutl page, it will show error and the URL will change. Please try to refresh the page and let me know if we got any correlation ID.

Regards,

Dats Luo

October 27th, 2014 8:54am

Hi Dats Luo,

when I get the "Nothing here matches your search" after going to page 3, after I refresh the page i still get the same message. No correlation ID or error page appears.

Fabio

October 27th, 2014 11:10am

Hi Fabio,

As you mentioned, when we navigate to page 3, the ULR address will be changed. It seems the search works well and please check if there is any redirector in IIS.

Regards,

Dats Luo

October 29th, 2014 6:28am

Hi,

there's no redirection in IIS.

The issue happens even if I go back to page 1 from page 2, or if i navigate using arrows: at the third iteration, no matter on which page I go, the issue happens and I get a "Nothing here matches your search" message.

It only happens if I use a query string parameter, the same page works perfectly if I remove the query string filter from query builder.

Feel free to ask me any information you need.

Thank you.

Fabio

October 29th, 2014 8:19am

Hi,

As issue didn't reproduce if we remove the query string filter, it seems the query string parameter may cause this issue. Please let me know how did you use the query string.

Regards,

Dats Luo

November 5th, 2014 2:35am

Hi, this is what I've done:

- I create a search result page and add a search result web part

1th try:

I configure Query Builder as following:

- Select a query: Local people result
- Query text: contentclass:spspeople

If I save and refresh the page it shows more than 1000 items (people profiles) and if I try to navigate to page 2, 3, 4, 5, ... everything works fine.

2nd try (I have to filter my result based on a property)

I configure Query Builder as following:

- Select a query: Local people result
- Query text: contentclass:spspeople property={QueryString.PARAM}

In this case search result preview shows hundreds of items, according to the parameter value.

I call my page as following: http://site/sitepages/results.aspx?PARAM=abcd and everything appears to work fine: I can navigate to page 2, but when I go to page 3 (or go back to page 1) I get a "Nothing here matches your search" and page url is http://site/sitepages/results.aspx?PARAM=abcd#k=#s=21

This happened at first when farm was SharePoint 2013 Server SP1 (no CU installed); I then upgraded (according to this http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/2817414) to July 2014 CU (kb2882989) but nothing changed.

Ciao

Fabio

November 5th, 2014 8:50am

Hi Fabio,

Thank you for your patience. I understand the search issue persists after you installed the July 2014 CU. Please create a new search service application have perform full crawling, then check if issue persists.

Regards,

Dats Luo

November 11th, 2014 8:28am

Hi Fabio,

Is there any update about this issue?

Best Regards,

Dats Luo

November 19th, 2014 10:40am

Not sure if you are still having this issue. I ran into it today after apply Feb 2015 CU to try and resolve it did not.

I found a workaround however.

The problem is the #jsonString they add to the querystring that gets pulled into your parameter.

If you make the value you put into the querystring terminate by using a & it will allow you to page with querystring parameters.

example

http://mysite/pages/results.aspx?myparameter1=my value#273815-... wont work because the search result webpart token replacement pulls in my value#278315 thus you have nothing like that in your system and thus you get No Results.

if you simply change it so the value is like this it will work

http://mysite/page/results.aspx?myparameter1=my value&#273815...

the search results webpart only takes the text up to the & and the #jsonString can still operate the paging.

Hope that helps,

Thanks,

Robert Kozar

• Proposed as answer by Kozar Thursday, February 26, 2015 5:57 AM
  • Marked as answer by Fabio Ferraguti Thursday, February 26, 2015 2:08 PM
February 26th, 2015 5:56am

Hi Robert,

a few days ago I found the same workaround and reported it to Microsoft (I opened a ticket about this issue).

Thank you for your reply.

Fabio

February 26th, 2015 2:08pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics