Issue setting remoteweb access to computers on Windows Server Essentials 2012

Not sure it should be as easy as following the wizard to setup remote access to the Windows Essentials Server but I am having issues.  So, what works, I can connect both from my LAN and external to the server to the remote access URL I got through Microsoft.  I can connect to shares, upload and download etc...  The issue starts when I try and connect to the server via Computers.  It says it is available, but I get this error

Your computer can't connect to the remote computer because an error occurred on the remote computer that you want to connect to.  Contact your network administrator for assistance.

I do get challenged for username and password so I think it is connecting.  I try and connect with an administrator account.  It also happens when I try to connect other servers on my network. 

Just a note, standard RDP from within my local LAN works fine to all these boxes...

December 11th, 2012 1:12am

"The issue starts when I try and connect to the server via Computers"

Meaning trying to connect Remote Desktop to the server through the Remoteweb Access portal?

And you can't connect "to" other servers.  How can you even see your other servers via the Remoteweb Access portal for the Windows Server 2012 Essentials server?  Are they just file servers that have you have joined to the Essentials server?

They are not part of that domain if they are controllers.  Please be more specific and we can get this solved.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 11th, 2012 2:23am

Sorry... You can log into the remote access portal.  On that is the section for shares and computers.  Computers is the part I have the problem.  So, the functionality that would allow me to remote desktop to my other computers or the server.  They aren't servers they are just the other desktops.  So if you click on the link "Connect to More Computers" it would show all the machines connected to the server and which ones are available.  It is when you select one of those you get the error.
December 11th, 2012 2:33am

OK.  First of all they have to be Pro versions of Windows.  Secondly,  if they are pro, then go to computer properties and make sure Remote Desktop is enabled on these computers.  I know you say "standard RDP from within my local LAN works fine to all these boxes", but check it anyway.  If all of this is in line then check the port forwarding on your router.  80 and 443 have to be forwarded to your Essentials IP address.

December 11th, 2012 6:56pm

The machines I am have tried are running either Enterprise or professional, which includes RDP like professional does. I also can't connect to the server itself via this mechanism.

I did look and verified that remote access is enabled on these machines and router is correctly configured for the port forwarding.

December 11th, 2012 8:43pm

Anyone have any decent troubleshooting steps around this functionality.  I really can't find anything to help.  Guessing a role is missing...
January 4th, 2013 11:13pm

Assume you have a trusted SSL installed?

Does it work via the RWA from inside the LAN?

Id also make sure the remote desktop gateway service is running (or any of the rds services)

The only RDS role required is Gateway.

January 5th, 2013 1:26am

Thanks for the reply.  But, no, it doesn't work inside or outside the WAN.  Checked the services and they look fine.  I can access the remote web access home page on the server both remotely and locally, and shared folders works.

It just doesn't let me connect to a computer (server or any other) via remote web access.  Just a note, all of these machine can connected to via standard RDP when on the LAN.

One generic question, I am assuming that the remote desktop functionality in the remote web access screen works like the it did in WHS v1?  This is driving me crazy, this is one of the core features I used in WHS v1.

January 11th, 2013 5:40pm

For what it is worth, I have the same problem, except that mine WAS working just fine, until about 1 week ago. I can no longer rdp via the remotewebaccess portal. I've checked router settings (which haven't changed between when it was working and now), server settings (that I could think of). Still can't get it to work.

I can RDP directly to the server (using the IP address via an RDP client) even from the outside, so it must be something to do with the remotewebaccess portal.

January 11th, 2013 9:16pm

I feel your pain...  Very frustrating.  Really no way to troubleshoot this easily.  Can't find error logs or anything that helps diagnose the issue. 
January 11th, 2013 9:18pm

I have the same issue and can't get it to work.  I'm using my domain and SSL cert through Go Daddy.  I had no issues when using WHS 2011.  Hopefully someone will have a response soon!
January 13th, 2013 1:50am

Has there been a resolution to this?  I am having the same problem.

Robert

April 9th, 2013 4:31pm

I haven't found anything helped...  Rather frustrated.
April 9th, 2013 4:51pm

Not sure it should be as easy as following the wizard to setup remote access to the Windows Essentials Server but I am having issues.  So, what works, I can connect both from my LAN and external to the server to the remote access URL I got through Microsoft.  I can connect to shares, upload and download etc...  The issue starts when I try and connect to the server via Computers.  It says it is available, but I get this error

Your computer can't connect to the remote computer because an error occurred on the remote computer that you want to connect to.  Contact your network administrator for assistance.

I do get challenged for username and password so I think it is connecting.  I try and connect with an administrator account.  It also happens when I try to connect other servers on my network. 

Just a note, standard RDP from within my local LAN works fine to all these boxes...

I also ran into this issue. The final answer in my case was to remove two optional updates from our Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 clients:

1) KB2574819 - DTLS in Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

2) KB2592687 - Remote Desktop Protocol 8.0 update for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

Thereafter 'Nowhere Access' became Anywhere Access. Note also, that only Ports 80 and 443 need to be forwarded and once you're done with the 'Gizard' you can close 80 if you wish. Just access the secure port directly using https://...

I hope this helps.

Good Luck!

July 6th, 2013 7:51pm

Hello,

I think Mcrosoft should fix the wizard for Remote Web Access (Zugriff ueberall) and accept the router and firewall as ok, if the required ports are forwarded to the 2012 Essential. Now I do not get rid of the error, which is not an error.

We use a firewall and router administered by  Third Party Suppliers and they do certainly not want us or Microsoft to adjust anything.  We tell them which ports are to be forwarded to which server and that is done within an hour. Microsoft ignores the fact that most of the Firewalls and routers do not allow UPnP adjusting by Microsoft (and NSA :) ).  I myself certainly will not use  foreign adjustments of routers and firewalls.

July 7th, 2013 2:00am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics