Isolating 2 networks on one server
I have a clustered enviornment (2008 core)with 2 nics on each node, 1 has a 192.x.x.x(no gateway)the other my has my private address x.x.x.x I'm using the 192 for the heartbeat and the private for user communications.I also have another server with 2 nics, both matching the networks on my cluter. I would like to use this server for backups and DFS replication, to aliviate any traffic for the users. All servers are connected to a dedicated switch and then to the main switch/router. My network guy setup an additonal VLAN just for the 192 network. I also setup the cluster to allow client communications so the non-clustered server can communicate.Of course the clustered servers can communicate (since they are already doing so through the heartbeat). Problem is, the stand alone server will sometimes communicated, through the 192, and other times it won't. If I do a ping -t to one of the 192 addresses, it will reply a couple of times then drop, reply then drop.....I did a tracert and noticed it sometimes crossing networks going from the 192 to the x.x.x.x network. How can I isolate these networks so they will not communicate with each other.ThanksArmando Diaz
June 29th, 2009 9:45pm

There is no more dedicated "heartbeat network" with clustering in 2008. the cluster network driver simply chooses the best network to use based on an internal metric. Having two communication paths is still recommended but you can no longer control what is to be used for dedicated heartbeat and what is not. Let me look into my notes on this and get back to you. I was lost the first time I had to do this with 2008 also. Mike Crowley A+, Network+, Security+, MCT, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP: Enterprise Administrator / Messaging Administrator
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 17th, 2009 1:58am

"I have a clustered enviornment (2008 core)with 2 nics on each node, 1 has a 192.x.x.x(no gateway)the other my has my private address x.x.x.x There's 1 setting... Is this network enabled for cluster use? Yes or No That's it... If a network is enabled for cluster use, then the new NetFT driver will send heartbeating and internode communication across all interfaces." - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverClustering/thread/211abd18-e111-4f12-ae53-e924f814230f
September 18th, 2009 12:25am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics