Isit the switches?
Hi I have a network with about 80 clients. I have a varity of different brand switches and ages of the switches. Some look 5 or 10 years old. I have only been working here for 9 months and noone knows for sure how old they are. I am trying to send some pictures using outlook and it will not let me. It is timming out. I do have a T1 line. And also one that is not. But I set the gatway for the PC I am using to go thru the T1 but it is still not working. So I am guessing it is the switches that are slowing it all down. What are all the factors that I need to look at to see why my network is being bogged down. When I ping google I can do around 1400 bytes max. If I try any more it times out. Where should I start to try and speed things up
August 5th, 2010 11:05pm

I'd recommend starting with running the following from a command prompt. pathping www.google.com or pathping <internet_gateway> *Note that <internet_gateway> is the internal IP address of the device that connects you to the internet* This will give statistics for all of the routers between you and at least partway to google or to your internet gateway. I would also use netmon on a few systems at different spots in the network to see if you are getting a lot of errors when you run captures, http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=983b941d-06cb-4658-b7f6-3088333d062f&displaylang=en If you can log in interactively to the routers and switches, do they report any errors? -- Mike Burr
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 5th, 2010 11:20pm

Hello, if you can't send pictures with outlook i assume that your Exchange server has set a limit for attachments. Please verify this. Network speed has not really to do with sending an email. If no limits are configured it should work. Which speed is used in the LAN 10/100/1000? I assume not 1000 as you are talking about old switches. I am not clear about the gateway you set, do you use muyltiple gateways on the machines NIC?Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
August 6th, 2010 10:47am

It has taken me a very long time to get back to this. I have had alot of problems latly, with complete network loss and other things. Mostly due to verizon or my VPN provider "witch is a big part of my company". I used the network monitor but I am not sure how to read the results. I dont see anywhere in the Capture data that shows errors. I will look more into it in alittle while About looging into the switch.. I was not left with any of the passwords for them. I have tried default ones "the last systems administrator left me with a mess" but no luck. Also I do not know any of the IP address. Do you know of a tool that can help me find them out? Thanks for help
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 3rd, 2010 3:44pm

I am using a third party email provider. "rackspace". Some of the machines I am able to send pics but some I am not. In one building I dont have a problem but another it is either very slow or wont at all. There are switches that are mixed with each other. Some are newer dell ones "dell power connect 5024" and others "link builderFMS 2, acerswitch 3024, along with other ones that look old" Not all of the switches show there speed. But I dont think there is any 1000. The ones that do are 10/100. I only use one gateway on each machine. I have static IP address so I can chose what gateway I want to use on each one. Thanks
September 3rd, 2010 3:51pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics